Truck is Dead

JasonD

Reaction score
City, State
Findlay, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Hello all,

This is my first post here and unfortunately things aren't good. I just bought a 1997 XLT with the 4.0L V6 2 months ago. Last week I pulled into the driveway and shut the truck off. I realized I had forgotten something and immediately tried to restart it. It turned over faster than normal and would not restart. I gave up, went inside and came back out 2 hrs later to fiddle with it. On the first try it fired right back up.

It ran fine for the past 2 weeks with no further instances. Well today I took it to a Penzoil shop to get the oil changed. It was one of the drive thru type where u sit in the car. I got the full service and they checked my air filter. It had a significant amount of oil on it. I told them just to wipe it off because I was going to show the dealer what had happenned. When I went to leave it would not start. I waited one hour, still wouldn't start. I waited another hour, still dead. Today it sits in the parking lot.

I had a guy hook up a code reader to my computer and there was no codes tripped. Also when i was trying to start it, the locks actuated 2 or 3 times which seemed very strange. A guy from Tuffy next door said it's probably my ignition module or the computer itself. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked all the battery connections? Sounds like it could not be getting a good connection.

I don't think it's the battery. It turns over very fast and strong. I was thinking tonight it could be the fuel pump.

Bad O2 sensors can cause all sorts of problems... take a look at Dead Link Removed

From my experience with bad O2 sensors, they usually trip the "check engine" light and cause bad gas mileage. That would also trip a code.

Originally posted by JasonD
From my experience with bad O2 sensors, they usually trip the "check engine" light and cause bad gas mileage. That would also trip a code.

True, but not always; mine never threw a code.

Back