Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help!

Also, still having no luck finding me PCV. I looked in the area that the link above suggested and I have used my cell phone to look under the intake manifold. Still nothing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bulkhead connectors?

I grabbed a new VSS, just didnt have a chance to install it yet

But, I am honestly at a Cut bait kind of mindset with this truck at this point. If I cant get some results out of the VSS and checking the o2 wiring, I will probably junk the truck and get something else

Check the bulkhead connectors as previously suggested before you replace anymore parts. It appears that the computer can't get a reading from the O2 & VSS sensors so replacing them won't help. You should check the continuity of each wire on the O2 & VSS sensors from one end to the other end to see if each one is working properly.

Where are the bulkhead sensors?

I mean connectors.

Is there a reason you say its the wiring over it actually being the sensor?
Trying to learn as I go here

2 reasons wiring is a culprit here. One, you have a new o2 sensor, and the chances of it being bad are slim. Two, VSS is a mechanical unit. If it didn't work, your speedometer would not work.

Well, I am fairly certain the spedo is not working properly.

I haven't checked it against GPS speed, but I can say that 2 seconds of slow acceleration isn't getting my truck up to 15mph.

I am not the least bit surprised that I most likely have wiring issues, it seems like it is very much so frankensteined together. Lots of electrical tape all over the place.

I am not very experienced or comfortable with wiring, but it looks like the time has come haha

So, what do I need to do? What should I be checking and where should it be?

What am I going to need to check the wiring?

Multi-Meter?

Or is there something better or easier?

The two most commonly used for automotive are an ohm meter and a volt meter. Both of which can be found in a multi-meter. Long story short, an ohm meter here would be used to make sure your wires have no shorts. Wire should be as close to 0 ohms as possible, so if you test 100k ohms on a wire, or more likely an OL, you found a problem. The volt meter is used to logically check for problems in the circuit with the aid of some kind of wiring diagram. The negative battery cable is hooked to the frame, body, and engine. Everything metal on the truck is 0 volts. All you have to do is hold your negative meter lead on anything metal, and probe around with the positive lead to test for 12v, 5v, 0v, or whatever that particular thing should read.

OK. So, I need to test the O2 wiring and VSS and the wires should be as close to O ohms as possible.

Are they color coded? (Even if they are, I doubt they are on this truck haha)

What should I be testing the volts on? The same wires? What voltage should I be getting?

OK, and I am checking for Ohms, should be 0 or close.

What should the voltage be?

Should I also pick up some spare wire?

If so, where and what kind?

OK, I got a multi-meter so that I can test the wires.

Also, I forgot all about when I replaced the negative batt cable, there was a ground from the frame that was "spliced" into the old battery cable. I bought some more ground wire and I am in the process of running it to the battery and cleaning up all the other grounds, so I can eliminate a bad ground being an issue.

Also, while I was looking for my PCV(still have not found) I was using my cell phone to look in areas I couldn't get to, and I found the braided strap that is supposed to go from the block to the firewall.

So, while I am buttoning all the ground stuff up, I will fix that strap as well.

The replacement battery cable I bought has one wire and connector coming off of the main terminal to attach grounds. I took both of the grounds that come from under my junction box, twisted them together and have them connected there.

I noticed that when I accidently let the wires touch the negative battery post, some relays clicked. But, when I have them attached to the wire and terminal, and I put everything on the negative post, no clicks are present.

Could this mean that I am not getting a good ground through there? Isnt one of the wires from under the box the fuel pump!?

Anyone know where I could get a new "end" for the grounding strap? Its copper, so I can probably bend it back so that I can get the strap back into it, but a replacement would be the preferred outcome haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the very first things your battery runs through is a solenoid. If your key is off, nothing should click. As for an "end" they are called terminals, and you probably want a ring terminal. You can get them just about anywhere. I don't understand what wires you twisted together. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any connected together by the power distribution box.

Back