Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help!

And of course, they want to give me a bunch of **** and say the oo2 sensor isnt the problem. Even though, its the only thing that changed.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the only difference is one is heated and the other isn't, its not your problem. Have you tried resetting the computer yet?

I changed the o2 sensor and that caused the problem. Thats the only thing that changed.

Reset it and it didnt change.

Looked around and seems the bosch heated o2s have a tendency to be faulty/cause issues.

They are transferring a denso, non heated (looks exactly like what came off) and I should have it later today

It is very possible you got a bad one.

Yea, it seems about right haha. Haven't heard back from them about the part getting in, so it looks like I wont be able to do anything until tomorrow.

I do have the replacement PCV, so I eill see if I can find and replace that on one of my breaks tonight at work.

The denso is identical to the sensor that came off. The heated one is very different, even when it comes to the part that is in the exhaust. The heated one has 4 "slits" and the rest is smooth metal. The denso has a more "open" design and is basically perforated.

The searching I did all led back to the symptoms of a bad o2 sensor.

Hopefully, this should be wrapped up soon

Finally got the call from the parts store that they got my part in, they had to get it transferred from another location.

They thought it wasn't going to be compatible, because the (I **** you not) because the one that was on the truck had a WHITE plastic connector, and the new one is BLACK......

So, I had to leave the Old o2 sensor with them, so that they could confirm that it would work when the part arrived..... haha

I am at work now, so I will have to pick it up in the am and take it from there.

Got the new O2 sensor in and the truck is running better, but still not 100%.

I noticed that the pulley on my tensioner was loose, so I fixed that today.

Still can not locate the PCV to save my life.

I noticed today, that once the truck has been running a few a minutes, my intake box and tubing(stock) leading to the throttle body get very hot. I know there is the little sensor or whatnot that is supposed to let hot air from off of the exhaust into the intake(to help with the truck warming up?) Is it possible that this part has failed and is constantly allowing hot air to be pumped into the engine?

Also, I have noticed that the truck will be running/idling very well, and then its like something switches on/off and the idle goes to crap and the truck starts running badly.

There is a line that runs from the intake box, down to the little "valve" that from what I have read, allows heat in from off the exhaust until the engine is warm.

Do I need this really? Is it possible to eliminate this with causing a vacuum issue?

That is your thermostatic control valve. Almost all vehicles have them, but they do almost nothing. They are there to save that .1 mpg and over millions of vehicles it adds up. To delete it, simple take the hoses off. There is one that goes from the vacuum tree to the air box. Either take it off the air box and plug the line, or better yet, take it off the vacuum tree and put a vacuum cap on the nipple. Everything in your engine bay gets hot, hot intake air is not the problem. You have some kind of sensor/electrical problems and an engine code is what you need to figure it out.

I will try and get some codes over the weekend. Hopefully, it is able to complete the test without stalling....

KOEO codes 172 o2 sensor not switching (brand new sensor)

452 Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) problem

So, where does this lead me?

Checked that spot, no pvc. I will have to see about removing the spalsh guard and looking that way

OK, so my O2 sensor (Brand New) isn't switching and my Vehicle speed sensor is bad.

Both of these seem to make sense, O2 not switching causing the lean/rich issues and the vehicle speed sensor causing my issues with being able to maintain speed in higher gears

Should I replace the VSS for sure? Any tips on how to, or where it is located? That is honestly something that I have never had to mess around with.

As far as my O2 sensor goes, I don't think its the sensor that is bad necessarily, so what could cause this issue? Grounding issue?

I feel like I am finally close to having it back up and fully running. Right now, I can't make it to or from work without having to put my 4 ways on and pull off to the shoulder to get it to rev up and not sputter out when I am trying to get up hill!!

Any help, as always is greatly appreciated!

Wiring for the o2 looks OK as far as I can tell.

Havent been up under the truck to check the VSS, and honestly I have no clue where it is

VSS problem is new territory for me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, took a quick look and found the VSS. Its almost directly under the driver side. Harness looks ok and is not near any exhaust components.

Is this fairly straightforward to replace?

From what I can see, there is an electrical connection and then a steel line that needs to connect to it. Then the other side fits into the transmission and have a "spindle" kind of piece on it?

Back