"True" performance intake kit | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"True" performance intake kit

Would you be interested in a "true" performance intake tube"

• Yes a silicone rubber tube would be great.

Votes: 185 86.9%
  • No, I want my chrome and don't care about the heat.

Votes: 28 13.1%

• Total voters
Thanks for the info Warren,
What can we do to help get the ball back rolling? From my current understanding (please correct me if I'm off base) the initial tooling/start up cost is too high given the expected sales.

If this is the case maybe we can start I real group buy sign-up. If the numbers are right it would help get the project moving ahead (otherwise bury it completely). This thread was started over 14 months ago so many people are wondering what kind of time frame do you realistically forsee for this project?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't mind black tube... not at all. It's black right now anyway,

:)

I'm ready to sign up for a group buy.

Self bump as this thread is now 16 months old.

DEROCHA said:
Thanks for the info Warren,
What can we do to help get the ball back rolling? From my current understanding (please correct me if I'm off base) the initial tooling/start up cost is too high given the expected sales.

If this is the case maybe we can start I real group buy sign-up. If the numbers are right it would help get the project moving ahead (otherwise bury it completely). This thread was started over 14 months ago so many people are wondering what kind of time frame do you realistically forsee for this project?

you have my attention

sry didnt realize this was such an old topic

I have a mac and heat was one of my concerns so I constructed a fresh air inlet via my pass side foglgt hole, never had OEM lgts, using 2 inch shop vac hose, was able to measure underhood temps using a yellowsprings telethermometer at the open filter of 20 Degs less with the inlet hose open verses blocked off, I think it is benificial in at least getting some cool air to the filter.
the mac do's look nice with the chrome but when I can find a source am thinking of doing a Kevlar wrap, anyone know where I might find Kevlar in perhaps a 1 inch roll of sorts?

Have you tested IAT with a scanner? With and w/o your ducting?

Al
Do not understand your Question, more info please

Have you used an OBD scanner to monitor IAT ( Intake Air Temperature )?

Had not a clue a scanner could measure that perameter, I do not have one but I can borrow a friends and ck it out perhaps, thx for the info, will any scanner measure IAT?

spindlecone said:
will any scanner measure IAT?

Be sure it is a scanner and not a code reader.

I am interested in your results.

I have tested the IAT of mine at various truck speeds and found that over 10 MPPH, ambient temp was almost the same as the IAT. This seems to negate any reason to fab a cold air intake.

My friends is a code reader, any recomendations on what type, brand where to get a scanner such as you discribe, can one be had that will do the scans and codes in one unit?

Thx Al
Nice lookin tool, but being 22% of the cost of my impending next and last Mod, I need to pass on that puppy, What do IAT temps normally run? at what point in the intake are the measured, Thx

My IAT reads about 1 to 2 degrees F hotter than the ambient temp.

It reads at the IAT sensor. Many are located within the MAF; mine is located a few inchs closer to the TB/

So the question is, how much heat is picked up in say a metal tube prior to it getting to the TB, if measured at say the MAf , just for grins lets say 6 degrees (may be alot more,dunno) would that make any diff? just curious

In moving air, I doubt there is any signigficant heat increase due to the tube material.

My Point exactally, I dougbt that tube material has much bearing on IAT, with an open intake and aftermarket exhaust, all the tests I did were at the cone filter source .
Seems far fetched but have actually considered a water jacket recirculating system via a tranny cooler, but how much bang do's one get per degree drop in incoming air?

At any speed over 20 MPH, the IAT is approcimately equal to the ambient temo, therefore negating any value in a cold air intake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Al I think your 100% correct, my question is,going back to the very beginning of this thread, why would you be interested in an aftermarket KKM tube?

Back