• Register Today It's free!

True-Rev sport induction?

agentq232

Reaction score
City, State
San Rafael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hi this will hopefully be my firts mod on my 98 ford exploer xlt v8. I saw on the main page that it seemed to be a good mod, and I think I want to do it.
the address for the page is here http://www.kustomz.com/cat2.html#sport
I want the explorer 5.0L version right?
How's the price on it?
Is there a better alternative?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you want the one for the 98-up 5.0. As far as alternatives, you can rig up a cheaper cone filter from autozone or somewhere, but,like mentioned, it takes some riggin. You may want to search through the For Sale forum here, there have been a few for sale. Or eBay may be able to help you out. But if you have to go new, you will have to spend about $90, which, of course, is better than the $150 for the K&N.

Robb

mac intake for 145 shipped. Dead Link Removed
i have it and love it.

do either of those two options really perform that much better than the True-Rev?

Would you please post a pic of your instal?

Thanks...........

IMO, the kkm is a good deal for a cleanable filter, a few have noticed increased performance, but it seems most people latley have noticed no power increase and possiblly a fuel econ drop.

when I put mine on I had no change in either.. but its worth it for a cleanable filter I think.

personally.. go with the MAC, if I'm right it comes with a mandrel bent intake tube, which will be a lot better than the old rubber hose we have stock. its only $45 more, and neither would be hard to install yourself.

Actually MOST people have noticed a good increase in throttle response and gas mileage, there are only a couple of people that have not seen a changed.
The install of the KKM is very simple and anyone could do it. I have it, and I wouldn't go any other way!

I take it the "bug" has alreaady bitten you?

Originally posted by DarkFox1
it seems most people latley have noticed no power increase and possiblly a fuel econ drop..

Can you back up that outrageous claim?

I got a noticable boost in power ( seat of the britches ) as well as increased mileage.

I can't say on the mileage, that didn't change on my car, but there was no power increase on my vehicle, and IT IS NOT A LEMON, everyone doesn't notice an increase.. my dyno results only showed 170 at the wheels thats with a kkm and flowmaster, supposedly thtas right on the line with stock.. so thats proof to me that it really didnt.

the milage.. as I said no change, I had a period infact at the very beginning that I lost mileage, up to 10mpg recently, but its averaging out right now.. I dont know why.. it got 15.3 on this tank.. and that was with the dyno run on the tank.. maybe hitting the speed governor cleaned out my injectors or something

I think people who see a big gain, see it because they want to. It does SEEM quicker if for nothing more than its just louder. The throttle response IS quicker, and when you're moving it does accelerate a little harder, but not much.

Really the only time an open element filter will make a big difference is when your running forced induction.

A kit with a smooth intake tube will likely help more than a filter because of the smooth inside compared to the stock rubber. Then again, its metal and its gonna get HOT....

As to how it could LOWER gas mileage, I dont see it unless you're putting your foot to the floor to hear it. Its taking restriction OFF the system, by common logic gas mileage should get a little better.

I'm not trying to be an..... err a jerk, but DarkFox I honestly dont know whats wrong with your truck but please stop sayin the filters and cat backs dont do anything because they didnt help whatevers wrong with yours. Your logic is very often fuzzy and very misleading.

theres nothing wrong with my truck... 3 shops and 1 dyno test have proven it.

170RWHP was the best out of 4 runs, others were as low as 130, at any rate, these figures are within the STOCK limits.. not above them..

I admit, I did not have a run on the dyno with totally stock components, but given powertrain loss these figures do not show any signifigant change for the better.

Whether there is a change or not it is unclear, but one can assume that the change is small, not signifigant, I'm not trying to turn people away, I just dont want them to be let down when they expect a night and day difference and dont get one.

It all depends on how you drive also I'm sure. I like to take off harder than most people, and my car most of the time allows me to do that.. but not w/o working it harder than I should be.

I agree with what yo uasid, its very likley that people thought they had gains simply because thewy paid good money for the product, and HEARD a difference.. and therefore thought there reallyt was one when there may not have been.

btw, the intake tube is metal over plastic, which would absorbv more heat too.. but from the pic it looks chrome.. which could reflect some of the heat off as well. wouldn't that even things out? if anything I tihnk the smoothness would improve things overall.

About the whole tube thing, I think the metal tubes are basically for looks. The stock plastic tube is just as good. About the heat thing, the air is moving so fast through the tube, I can't imagine any real heat transfer taking place. About performance increase, you will get all kinds of opinions on that matter. Some noticed an increase, some didn't. Some of those that did are victims of the plecebo effect, some aren't.

So, what am I trying to say, I dunno. Should you get one? Which kind? You gonna get any noticable improvements?................Sorry, but there isn't any clear answer to these questions.

I got one for my 95 for $45 from another member (haven't installed it) for the simple fact that it will pay for itself in the future by not having to pay for more disposable filters.

Robb

edit: Darkfox, your mpg still 12-13 mpg? if so, you still got a problem. I thought your proved that by driving another 5.0 and noticing the difference?

Ok, I missed seeing that everything Dynoed ok... last I heard was still 15second 0-60s and all that.

Didnt realize it was rubber coated inside, any power pipe I had seen before was just a polished tube. Really I dont know what it would do. At cruising speed its probably worth a few ponies.

A catback exhaust on the other hand should be worth close to 10 ponies and that should register on the butt-o-meter for sure.

As for the dyno comparison with the conical filter and the box, its not worth it. Its not gonna make much of a difference while stationary, hell it may LOWER performance without a large fan infront to keep the hot engine air off it.

Lightnings and the new Cobra will likely show large gains just because they are supercharged and very restricted on the intake side.

As for takin off hard.... leavin my school a 0-50 WOT run is required not to get hit.

Sorry I hijacked the thread

IMO, just go with the MAC.. heh, theres no signifigant gains from either, but there are gains to be found.. according to others :p

the mac would as they said.. look better if nothing else, and its only $50 more.

the guy when he dynod my truck made note that my tires only had 22 psi in them?? I never thought about checking the tires, but he bumped them up to 32, it rides rougher now, but seems to move alittle better.. maybe my tires were jst underinflated. I hope I dont have leaks.. last time I checked them they were at 30.. and that was probablly 2 weeks ago. Its felt alittle better latley.. maybe its the weather.... even tho.. I noticed no change back when I got my catback, I've often wondered if its the way the pipes run.. my driver side exit has more than its fair share of bends to get over there.. I think once I get the money I'm going to have them hack it off and run both pipes on the same side.. and have them exit above the fendfer so they're not visible from standing height.

As long as its Manderal bent the bends dont really matter. If you cahnged the pipe size you may have gone too big which kills the back pressure and low end torque

Originally posted by DarkFox1
I can't say on the mileage, that didn't change on my car, but there was no power increase on my vehicle, and IT IS NOT A LEMON, everyone doesn't notice an increase.. my dyno results only showed 170 at the wheels thats with a kkm and flowmaster, supposedly thtas right on the line with stock.. so thats proof to me that it really didnt.

the milage.. as I said no change, I had a period infact at the very beginning that I lost mileage, up to 10mpg recently, but its averaging out right now.. I dont know why.. it got 15.3 on this tank.. and that was with the dyno run on the tank.. maybe hitting the speed governor cleaned out my injectors or something
did you disconnect your battery to reset the computer. I noticed a major difference in my throttle response and hp's

yes, I disconnected it while installing, then when done I idled it for 10 minutes, grannied it arounfd my neighborhood and turned it off

and even at that.. the computer has been reset again again quite often since then.. this was like a year or so ago

here's a good question...
which of these intake kits is actually CARB approved for 50-state legality?
this might make a difference, as I know not all of them are "IM-legal"

The K&N is CARB approved, the KKM is not, don't know about the others...

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and I bet that's why K&N costs an arm and a leg, and maybe even your right nut :rolleyes: :D
I'm almost positive the K&N FIPK is the only 50-state smog legal intake system, which means if you don't care about passing IM, or wanna swap your airbox back in every 2 years, I'm sure all the others would be about the same performance-wise

Back