Trying to figure out the VSS situation on my 96 Sport. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to figure out the VSS situation on my 96 Sport.

WCLegere

Reaction score
City, State
Murphysboro
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
I've got a bad VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on my 1996 4.0 with an M5R1 5-Speed but the only info I can seem to find is the VSS for the automatic which, I'm under the impression, is mounted on the transmission tail shaft. On mine the VSS is mounted on the transfer case just above the Transfer Case Shift Motor and I can't find any reference to this particular part. I also have cruse control on mine as well (not sure if that makes any difference) What I want to know - Is the VSS for the 96 the same part for the automatic and the manual or are they different part numbers? Also, there is a sensor mounted at the top of the rear axle housing on the 8.8. Does this have anything to do with the speedometer and odometer not working?
IMAG0868[1].jpg

So... I've learned several things over the past few days. I discovered that the sensor on the rear axle is for the ABS system and has nothing to do with the VSS. Second, I just took a chance on ordering a VSS w/speed control and I hope it's the right one and Third... this forum really isn't all that much help! :fart:

I know it's been a while, but you gave the forum 1 day to reply before saying it's no help. That said, yes the VSS is on the t-case. I don't know if it's the same as the ones mounted on the trans of 2wd setups, or the same as on manual trans. It really should be. I just reads driveshaft final drive spins and is a 3000 pulse per mile sending unit. Did you ever get any results with your issue? I'm in a situation that I need to replace the drive gear inside the t-case and am hesitant to do that if there is any kind of conversion to some external VSS driven by the driveshaft or a conversion to the ABS style sensors (hall effect/magnetic style).

Back