Trying to find Driveway Mechanic in the Northern Virginia area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to find Driveway Mechanic in the Northern Virginia area

IBrokeDadsCar

Reaction score
City, State
Falls Church, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 AWD V8 Limited
Hi everyone, not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but I need to get my AC Evaporator replaced. The dealership is quoting about $1700 to get this done, $1300 of which is labor. I used to be part of the Supra community and we had a couple semi-professional mechanics that worked out of their driveways for lower rates and with arguably better work. Do we know of anyone like this in the Northern Virginia area?

The evaporator is not an easy job for sure and to do it you need plenty of room to work. Too bad I don't live in Fredericksburg anymore, I would pick up the job in a heartbeat. Now if you would want to go for a drive, come down to Va Beach. I do own a shop and have a TON of experience on all years of explorers and could get you in and out within a day.

The evaporator is not an easy job for sure and to do it you need plenty of room to work. Too bad I don't live in Fredericksburg anymore, I would pick up the job in a heartbeat. Now if you would want to go for a drive, come down to Va Beach. I do own a shop and have a TON of experience on all years of explorers and could get you in and out within a day.

Thanks for your reply Boomin. Not sure if I can make the drive down there just yet, but out of curiosity, what kind of price would you charge for the job?

Thanks for your reply Boomin. Not sure if I can make the drive down there just yet, but out of curiosity, what kind of price would you charge for the job?

I charge $65 an hour and go by book time. Doing a quick lookup its 7.7 hours and +.2 if you have rear hvac. Then add the cost of the evaporator core, recharge, coolant ect. You would still under a grand out the door though. Send me a PM if your serious and I'll work you up an exact price.

Back