• Register Today It's free!

Trying to get 4x4 working 92 Ex.

murkinstock

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Hi everyone. So I've been trying to get my 4x4 working. It's still not happening and I have a question and I'll say the things I've done.

I have power and ground to the module. (about 11.5v)

I did all the tests and the resistances seem to be good.

The dash and button lights are working.

I rebuilt the 4x4 shift motor.

I've tried the module test many times on two different modules. Neither of them do anything. The LED won't light up. I have opened them up and they both look great on the inside. (No splits in any of the solder connections and nothings burnt) They are getting power.

I'm getting full voltage through the under dash fuse but in my Power Distribution Box on my electronic shift fuse I'm getting just over 1v. Is that normal?

I have tried just about everything. The only thing I can think of is something to do with that fuse or have my buddy test the modules on his Ranger because his 4x4 works. We just haven't gotten around to it because he's busy and we have to unbolt his subwoofer to get to it.

Just to be clear It's a 1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer Automatic

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting full voltage through the under dash fuse but in my Power Distribution Box on my electronic shift fuse I'm getting just over 1v. Is that normal?

There's your prob.

Pull the dist block out and have a look at the bottom. The connections are corroded/broken

Okay. The connections seem to be good. So I followed the Red/light blue wire from the fuse and it appears it goes to a plug under the dash by where all the wires come in at. It just has a cover on it and goes to nothing. Now I'm very confused.

I'm not good with wiring at all because I've never had to get into it much. Sorry

Uuuummmm? ok, me too. confused that is.

Did the 4x4 work when you bought it?

It sounds like every other thing is working but you are not getting power sent to the shift motor.

No the 4x4 didn't work when I got it. They told me the shop said they need a new shift motor. So I took it apart to find out the core and brushes were ripped out. So I got another shift motor off a friend and rebuilt it. So I put it in and nothing. The module is getting power but not doing anything No light blinking when I do the test nor is it clicking or anything when I have it fully connected and press the 4x4 button.

I have tried two modules and they are doing the same thing, nothing.

I'm not %100 sure they both should work. I don't see why they wouldn't though. Maybe the chips under the heat sink are bad? I don't know. I'll try to have my friend test them as soon as possible.

I've tried the module test many times on two different modules. Neither of them do anything. The LED won't light up. I have opened them up and they both look great on the inside. (No splits in any of the solder connections and nothings burnt) They are getting power.

That's where I clarified the modules aren't doing anything.

The only thing I can think is the modules don't work. They just look like they're in perfect condition inside and out. The only thing I can think is the chips under the heat sink are bad or something.

Well for sure the module should blink when the self test is done.

If you get no light or steady light; it's a fail.

You may have two bad modules.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. Well I might be able to test them today for one that I know works. We'll see. I'll update what happens.

Thank you man! You're a big help around the forum. I know technically we didn't do much this time, but I've seen you around a lot! I appreciated it greatly.

Update: 1 of my 2 modules works, on a working system. Still doesn't do anything on my system (No flashing no relays clicking) So I'm going to recheck the wires to the module tomorrow and see what one is getting the power and such because I don't remember now.

I hope I get this figured out soon, because once I get into something I don't want to stop until it's fixed.

Okay. The connections seem to be good. So I followed the Red/light blue wire from the fuse and it appears it goes to a plug under the dash by where all the wires come in at. It just has a cover on it and goes to nothing. Now I'm very confused.

I'm not good with wiring at all because I've never had to get into it much. Sorry

The Red/Lt Blue wire is only connected when a manual transmission is installed. Its for a "Clutch / Triple Function Switch" that is not used for a automatic.
I have a wiring book for the 1994 Explorer. Ford seemed to keep the same wiring colors for most of the first gen Explorers. The wires from the Power Distribution box to the ESC Module should be Dark Green / Light Green.

Maybe these will help:
00010001_Large_.jpg

00010002_Large_.jpg

00010003_Large_.jpg

00010004_Large_.jpg

Ahhh okay. That makes sense since the R/LB wire just goes to a capped plug. This should help a lot when I work on it later today! Yeah I'm pretty sure the wire I'm getting the 11.5v on that goes to the module is the White/purple wire. So now I know I also need power to the DG/LG wire! I remember the W/P wire being the only one I was getting power through! Thank you very much!

Okay so I am only getting .84v through the DG/LG wire, but I cannot find it at the Power Dist. Box. So I'm thinking they might have attached the wire to a different constant power in the 92's? If all else fails couldn't I technically find a wire that's always hot, splice in a 20A fuse and wire that to the control module since the wire is always hot anyways?

***Update***: So I found the wire goes to this clip and then changes to a slightly fatter just dark green wire. So I'm thinking it's messed up under the carpet somewhere because it's getting full a full 12v. I will probably just rewire it.

Heres where the wire goes:

0401140928a_zpsf0d2c88e.jpg

That's in the center just under the dash.

Thanks for post'n that up Brian! my manual is missing those pages.

WTH?

Take a good look under there, someone may have cut into those wires for stereo equipment or the like and fubooed the harness up.

They are out of the Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual from Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fun times; Well, sounds like you have tracked it down and saved another Ex.

Back