1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. ExploreThis2012

ExploreThis2012 Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012 Limited
    On the TSB sticky here on the forum there is a listing that says:

11-11-7 PULL/DRIFT RIGHT ON ACCELERATION - 3.5L ENGINE AND FRONT WHEEL DRIVE (FWD) ONLY - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 10/20/2011

I have search the net and cannot find any details.

Does anyone have a source to see what this TSB is about.

Upon hard acceleration my Explorer wants to drift. You really have to pay attention to the steering when passing or running through a yellow light (something I would never do):eek:

Thanks in advance.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. northvillejam

northvillejam New Member

City, State:
    Northville Mi
    1996 Explorer
    SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.05 and higher or 76.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
    Reprogram the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) module.
    NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

WARRANTY STATUS:
    Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

4. grrtrainman

grrtrainman Active Member

City, State:
    Western Mass, (summer), & SW Florida, (winter).
    '13 Limited 4WD 302A Tow
    ... but isn't this just a case of "normal" front wheel drive torque steer and why higher hp vehicles have to go to 4wd or rear wheel drive?

5. ExploreThis2012

ExploreThis2012 Member

2012 Limited
    Thanks for the quick response and details.

Yes, it could just be an inherent part of the design. Back in the 90's I had a Cadillac STS with 300hp and I do not remember that much torque steer, although it did have it, as any FWD vehicle.

I just wanted to see if there was some sort of enhancement. It sounds like this TSB would just "dumb down" the acceleration, I'll pass

Funny thing about the adaptive trans shift points. I would actually prefer firmer shifts instead of the car computer creating "slush" shifting.

6. toms2012

toms2012 New Member

City, State:
    Kentucky
    2012 Explorer
    Anyone had this re-programing done? I have pronounced pull to the right and then spring back to the left when passing the vehicle in front of me.
    What does this TSB accomplish? Is this just a de-tuning?

7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I don't know what the TSB does exactly but a year or so ago there was a member who swore that the trailer sway control made his easier to keep straight.
    Unfortunately I can't recall if he turned it ON or OFF. I think it was ON. I tried it on mine and didn't notice any difference in steering. Just thought I'd mention it. Apparently it doesn't need the tow package to work.

Peter

8. toms2012

toms2012 New Member

City, State:
    Kentucky
    2012 Explorer
    I'll see if my base model has that. Don't remember seeing that before.

9. plumbago

plumbago Active Member

2013 XLT EcoBoost
    If you have it, you have to turn trailer tow off each time you start the vehicle. It's on auto unless you elect to turn it off.........

10. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Hi toms2012.

Your dealer is the best source of info about the specifics of a TSB. You should be able to get a clear explanation of what will be done when you schedule a service appointment. Let me know if you need anything! :)

Ashley