• Register Today It's free!

TSB: Seat Belt Retraction Speed

sfbayjay

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland-ish, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT SOHC 4L V6
I've been crawling around here for a while trying to find a quick fix for my sluggish seat belts, which are increasingly getting slammed in the doors when they don't retract quickly enough (or at all, for that matter).

Anyone seen this TSB: 05-16-11

Here's a link to a .pdf version I found this morning.

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/05-16-11.pdf

I think this would apply to my truck (an '02 XLT). Any thoughts on the merits of this fix, and can someone tell me how best to approach a dealership about this repair?!

Because this is an "adjustment," and my truck is out of warranty, I assume the standard response would be that they could fix the problem but it would cost me. Any strategies for pursuing a cheap fix via TSB?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

according to my warranty book, the restraints system is covered under a lifetime warranty

the TSB clearly states the warranty only applies to new vehicle limited warranty coverage.
So yes it going to cost you.
I read once they wanted like $30 a piece just for the part and all it is is teflon tape.
Then the TSB suggest 1.1 hour of labor. So that's at least another $75

It does not fall under the restraint lifetime warranty because it does not effect the restraint aspect of the seatbelt only the retraction, which is not classified as required safety issue.

I have located the kit for $27
http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/...chType=Part Number Search Results&searchAll=1

the TSB clearly states the warranty only applies to new vehicle limited warranty coverage.
So yes it going to cost you.

Yeah, that's what I got from reading the TSB. Figures.

Thanks for the link to the "kit." Teflon tape -- does that really constitute a "kit"? :p:

Has anyone done this or had it done? Did it work? I was about to try spraying some kind of lube into the retractor housing before finding this TSB. Anyone tried this, maybe with some silicone spray or maybe graphite or something?

Retrofitting the seatbelt itself with Teflon tape seems a strange fix, as the belts used to retract just fine. This suggests to me that either the retractor spring is worn out, or something needs to be lubricated...

the problem is the drag (friction) created in the seatbelt guide. If you let it retract with no friction. By holding it with your hand it retracts much easier.

The guide (triangle mounted to your pillar) is what gets the teflon tape and allows the belt to run with little to no friction.

I have seen the fix and it works. I just have a huge problem bringing myself to bring $30 for some strips of teflon.

I have a 2002 and a 2005 explorer and sure enough there is a smooth piece of white plastic on the seatbealt guide on the 2005, and not the 2002. So from the factory that must have been the fix.

As for the $30 fix kit, I took a piece of clear packing tape and put it on the seatbelt guide in the 2002 and now they work great, no drag at all.

Tom

seat belt retraction speed

Seems to me that if there is a lifetime warranty on the restraint, of which the problem guide is a part, it should be covered. Wouldn't it be fair to say that the restraint is becoming damaged and therefore less reliable by getting stuck in the door due to the tsb defect? Besides someone exiting the passenger side could easily close the door with the belt hanging out the door potentially causing sun, rain, snow, salt etc. damage to the belt. I'm sure some lawyer would love to make a class action suit over it. Might also be a legitimate complaint for the NTSB to investigate, especially considering seat belt use is required almost everywhere now. I would guess that it might be more prudent for Ford to start making the repairs rather than spend the money on litigation and possibly still have to fix them.

restraints system is 5 / 60,000 or 50,000 coverage.

Yeah, that's what I got from reading the TSB. Figures.

Thanks for the link to the "kit." Teflon tape -- does that really constitute a "kit"? :p:

Has anyone done this or had it done? Did it work? I was about to try spraying some kind of lube into the retractor housing before finding this TSB. Anyone tried this, maybe with some silicone spray or maybe graphite or something?

Retrofitting the seatbelt itself with Teflon tape seems a strange fix, as the belts used to retract just fine. This suggests to me that either the retractor spring is worn out, or something needs to be lubricated...

its a hit or miss depends on how worn the belts are.

it can fix the problem, or it might not. the belts can be that worn that they just need to be replaced.

also if you notice, the belts tend to cut into the plastic cover over them on those years. which also does not help in retracting speeds.

Back