TT and wheel alignments... how long can you go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TT and wheel alignments... how long can you go?

quiksilverdh

Reaction score
City, State
Vernon, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt - 62 IHC Scout
I still need to do my torsion twist, but I have a very tight schedule with work and whatnot. basically Im just curious as to how long you can safely drive with a TT before getting a wheel alignment done? On average I do 60 - 80 miles a day of commuting.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Marc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the tt takes mere minutes... you should do the alignment as soon as possible... you can go forever without it.. but keep in mind, that if some compenet is not in spec while driving, and something is out of kilter enough, you will be shredding through tires like crazy...

I hear ya...

Well there is no doubt I have all intentions of doing the alignment within a day or so of the TT... So I guess Im just really curious as to if my tires will get torn up in a matter of around 150 miles of driving before the alignment.

you should be fine for a day or two.. i wouldnt go much more than that with the miles you'll be putting on.

here's an idea- whatever day you have time for an alignment; just use the stock jack and jack up the truck and do the TT before you go get it done.. shouldnt take more than 15 minutes ;)

I found that doing my TT involved a little more than 15 minutes. After my initial adjustment of the t-bars, I experienced a little settling. So, I drove around for a weekend with a tape measure, breaker bar, short extension and socket. Everytime I stopped, I would measure and adjust. After a couple of weekends (I don't drive during the week), I got it where I wanted it. My current tires are junk and haven't gotten it aligned yet. I really haven't noticed much tire wear or pulling (left or right) and it's been a good six months (I'm not recommending this course of action, it's just an FYI).

I did that for half a day one weekend. You gotta find some flat even road or your measurement will drive you crazy (like I did). I found that after a week of driving it will settle for another 0.25 - 0.5 inch.

Just wondering...You guys just measuring from the street to the fender?

I was measuring from the little lip on the very edge of the rim to the fender.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it!

So far I have adjusted two times, and I've experienced settling with each time I did it. As of now the front end sits about 1 1/8" higher than before. I am hoping to get a full 2" out of it.

Back