• Register Today It's free!

TTB 2ND gen

Erek_97Sport

Reaction score
City, State
traverse city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
Has anyone has taken the ttb out of a first generation and put it into a second generation. I'd like to possibly attempt it. Any info would be nice. Like first of all do the frame mounts work form the 1st to the 2nd generation. And I read that the 95 came with ttb. Is that true? Because if it is I'll use that one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not true, the 2nd gens are all IFS, and the parts can be made fit, but you have to make mounts for everything, including the steering box,

too much work, better off to try to put the front fenders and such on the 1st gen, that would be easier,

Just curious why you'd want a TTB?
If you want a lift, why not put a solid axle on the front?

Just curious why you'd want a TTB?
If you want a lift, why not put a solid axle on the front?

TTB is popular with the pre runner guys. Personally I like it, lots of travel and a good ride.

OP, your best bet is prob to use a 1st gen with a 2nd gen body

I like both solid and ttb my friend had one that he was trying to get rid of for relatively cheap. I don't mind mocking stuff up I just don't want to completely re build my front end. And I don't have the money to go and buy a whole first gen chassis. So I'll just keep my factory set up for now until I have the money to solid front axle it. Thanks

My friend was reading over this with me and told me to mention a possibly using a 97 ranger because it was the same year as mine and he thinks it has a ttb.

Yes, 97 is the last year of TTB on the ranger

craigslist a cheap sport or 4 door for less than buying the parts separately, ??
i know they can be had cheap if they have problems,

I love craigslist. Its the first place I go for almost everything. And I don't really have a ton of room at my shop. There's always cars there being worked on. So i dont have room for the other explorer (besides out side) maybe this summer. But for now a solid axle swap.

I swapped a 95 Bronco D44 TTB into my truck. It was a major amount of work and fabrication. Rides great and flexes good, I ended up with about 16" of travel in the front. I did this because the truck was totaled and the IFS would have been very difficult to repair, I already had most of the TTB parts and could not find a Dana 30 with the right gears(4.10) cheap. There are a lot of things I would have done differently, but it is unique.

http://newstylecustoms.com/wp/suspension/road/1999-ford-explorer/

Great work Newstylecustoms

yeah it looks great. bout how long did it take you?

-did you get the matching rear axle or did the gearing match up with the explorer

yeah it looks great. bout how long did it take you?

-did you get the matching rear axle or did the gearing match up with the explorer

The stock gearing in my Ex was 4.10 so I found a diff in the u-pull-it from an 85 F250 with a D44HD that already had the 4.10.

How long did it take, a really long time. I worked on it when I could, got the truck in August of 2011 and it didn't hit the road until May 2012. Lots of trial and error to make things work then waiting on misc. parts and money to buy them. It was far more work than a solid axle, but I wanted to be different. I had the luxury of a Ranger front clip to use as a template and build a jig for the beam pivot points then fab crossmembers to make it all work. Very tight fit but the overal result was a lower ride height with more up travel than an SAS would provide. One of the biggest challenges was the center slip yoke, I had to Extend the bronco slip yoke to work with an RBV length D35 passenger side intermediate shaft since the bronco shaft was way too long and because of the way it necked down could not be shortened and resplined.

Alright thanks for the info.

i swapped a 95 bronco d44 ttb into my truck. It was a major amount of work and fabrication. Rides great and flexes good, i ended up with about 16" of travel in the front. I did this because the truck was totaled and the ifs would have been very difficult to repair, i already had most of the ttb parts and could not find a dana 30 with the right gears(4.10) cheap. There are a lot of things i would have done differently, but it is unique.

http://newstylecustoms.com/wp/suspension/road/1999-ford-explorer/

we are twins. Lol

Has anyone has taken the ttb out of a first generation and put it into a second generation. I'd like to possibly attempt it. Any info would be nice. Like first of all do the frame mounts work form the 1st to the 2nd generation. And I read that the 95 came with ttb. Is that true? Because if it is I'll use that one.

To stay on topic, I used a frame from a bronco and my buddy modified it to fit. Giant motorsports has a "kit" that puts a narrowed 44 in a a ranger but not for the IFS.

I would suggest a marrying the frames like mine, or doing a sas. But sas isn't ttb.

If I had it to do over again I would have used a crossemember from a Bronco or F150 also. I used the spacing from an RBV thought to narrow it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm full width, used adapter spacers to have the back get close to matching.

Back