Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

tucson Monsoon's are here...

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Maniak, July 7, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1992 XLT 4x4
    Well.. today is the 3rd day this week with the monsoon storms. (with water)...

At least this time was less water so we didn't have to go fix the road afterwards again (did for the other 2 storms) and anything that could blow off the houses etc has already been destroyed. I only see another 5 or so shingles gone after today...

I took a quick video of it.. I stopped when the hail started to hurt.. Of course, it really picked up after I stopped.

So far, the little red wagon now has > 3" of water in it. We only get about 10" a year.

~Mark

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    STL MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Just mother nature doing a little cleaning up. If you guys washed your vehicles more often, I bet it would rain more for you. Its a known law of physics that it rains right after you wash & wax. :p:

Seems odd to me that rain & hail is a phenomenon to somebody, but since it happens so often around me, it's just another day...lol

I'm sure it would be odd for me if a wall of sand a few hundred feet high came rolling by tho :D

4. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
  5. Maniak

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    Yea, Rain and Hail isn't really that big of a deal in other parts of the country But our monsoons are quick and intense.. They had reported wind speeds of 70mph (airport and airforce base) and remember, we went 81 days with no rain.

It was 100F and sunny then less than 30 minutes later it was what I posted above and then 30 minutes later its dead calm out. During the 1/2 hour of actual rain we got 1" or more.. Thats 3 out of 4 days that we have had storms like that. According to the unoficial rain gauge (radio flyer wagon) we have received about 4" (thats how much is in the wagon as of yesterday) which is quite a bit when we get 10" or so a year.

We had to use Tractors and a Grader to fix the road after the first 2 storms. Yesterdays didn't take out the road, or remove porches etc like the storm on Monday did.

Here is a video I took at the end of the storm on Tuesday.. 30 minutes later and the water was almost gone leaving just mud/muck and fun for the X :)

~Mark

Last edited: July 8, 2011
  6. Turdle

Turdle Freelance Stuntman Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    Your scared of a little rain?:p::D I couldn't even hardly see those puny hail stones-:D

7. Maniak

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    I've never seen sideways hail before. and it hurts :)

It looked like someone dumped a bag of rock salt on the windshield. I was suprised the hail was still everywhere an hour or so later, and it was in the 90's.

~Mark

We Support Our Troops!