• Register Today It's free!

Tuners in general

OKExplorerSport

Reaction score
City, State
Broken Arrow, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello gents. I am posting because I need information.

I purchased a tuner from Diablo over a year ago and have been using the 91 octane tune and its decent.

I have been reading alot about Southern Speed Inc and am wondering if any of you guys/ gals have been using their tunes. Is SSi better than Livernois/ Diablo, etc?

What is your input?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can only recommend the Livernois it's the only one I tried but I can tell you I have been very happy with the product and the support behind the product. Thanks LMS!

Give me a month or two and I'll let you know what I think about SSI along with before and after 1/4 mile results.

Thank you for the recommendation Surreal! We try our best to always go the extra mile.

As for a tuning comparison there is no comparison. There are no more powerful, reliable or safer aftermarket option out there. We have been modifying the EcoBoost platform since 2009, and have no rival in the industry.

Im very happy with the SCT X4 and tunes from Torrie.

I paid $399usd shipped.

Can be moved to next 5 vehicles

That is the device I am looking at. I want a CUSTOM tune and a device that can datalog.

I have. Even using diablo trinity tuner for 15k miles. Love the performance and power is flipping amazing. Not dissing other as livernois seems great to its customers. Can only speak to trinity t-1000. I love it as I can build custom monitor panels to watch performance and save the screens and come back to them. It is plugged in 24x7 on my ride

Nothing against LIvernois - they do good work. but there are quite a few other shops out there that do good work too.

and for what you describe you will need something near you that will be able to dyno test and modify your car.

I've not used southern speed personally so I can't say but ask them for customer references. Any decent shop should be able to provide as such. Especially if you are going to have them do some fairly unique things for your car.

devices - I like the new diablo devices, I'm probably going to buy one for our car. I have also had decent luck with HP Tuners - however it's spendier. Little more universal but I think Diablo has come a long way from the original predator.

A guy that I have raced with for years uses SSI for his 3.5 EB truck. He has been racing with SSI tunes since the 3.5 EB was introduced. At that point, he sold both his drag cars and started racing his truck. He is on his third one, a 2015, and he races and wins his class almost every week. It is bracket racing which shows that it is very consistent. He has run a best of 12.49 @ 105mph with just a tune in a 4wd Extended Cab 6.5' bed truck. Crazy. He loves SSI. The guys on SSI's website sure love him. All great reviews. I still haven't talked to him yet on the phone. That will be next. I just want a mild tune in the Explorer. He'll do whatever you want and make changes if you want to tweak it. He has several different variations to choose from and he'll even fine tune that if you want something changed. If you want one of his aggressive tunes, he'll datalog your vehicle and make sure everything it optimized with it. I am getting closer but still haven't pulled the trigger. I really want to but am still a little nervous about adding all that power to a transverse setup. I also may bring it in for warranty work first in case they flash the computer which would require me to get a new tune. He will charge a fee to have the tune rebuilt for a different strategy if Ford re-flashes it. Others may not charge for that.

SSI also runs deals every once in a while. He just gave away a tuner last month and I missed the drawing. It was like a 1:20 chance! I am waiting for his next deal and some money to come my way.

I read that too. LOL! I am sure the other tuners agree!

Crucifying me over a typo? It's okay time slips and ET's never have typos.

Just a joke. Please post your best tune only Explorer Sport timeslip. Not a race tune that isn't available to the public. Just your best tune only 91 or 93 octane pass. Thank you.

We also offer this service combined with unlimited and unrestricted tuning updates.

Yes now, but back in 2013/14 you didn't, that's why a number of us went the cheaper route with SCT.

There's an older thread on that very topic.

But isnt there a fee (return shipping or firmware upgrade fee) when you switch between 2011-15 to 2016/17?

Yes now, but back in 2013/14 you didn't, that's why a number of us went the cheaper route with SCT.

There's an older thread on that very topic.

But isnt there a fee (return shipping or firmware upgrade fee) when you switch between 2011-15 to 2016/17?

That is not true either. I worked here then, and we did not charge a fee for tuning updates.

NOPE! There are no additional fees that the owner will incur for remote tuning services. In the case that you sold your MyCal for whatever reason, next owner will pay a relicensing fee.

The only way that this could be confused or lost in translation is when we had a credit program for trading up from the SCT tuner to a MyCal, but that was not in 2014....

That is not true either. I worked here then, and we did not charge a fee for tuning updates.

NOPE! There are no additional fees that the owner will incur for remote tuning services. In the case that you sold your MyCal for whatever reason, next owner will pay a relicensing fee.

The only way that this could be confused or lost in translation is when we had a credit program for trading up from the SCT tuner to a MyCal, but that was not in 2014....

Yes your correct I meant the relicensing fee which wasn't required by others at the time I was buying a tuner.

I gave my last tuner to the buyer of my 2007 Yukon Denali and he could use it without a fee, that's what I was referring too.

That however does not have ANY impact on you. You are simply being nice for the next owner. With the MyCal you can just take the tuner with you, without need to resell it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Livernois, where are the timeslips you were talking about?

Back