Tuners in SoCal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuners in SoCal

Since i plan on running a supercharger and about 5 psi, I will most likely need a tune. I plan on using the moddbox kit and they also offer an online tuning service but I wanted to see about maybe getting a dyno tune to dial in the fine details. Does anyone know of a good tuner in Southern California? I live in San Bernardino but am willing to drive anywhere from Santa Barbara to San Diego. Also, what is a general cost of a dyno tune? That might also be nice to know haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since Henson performance closed their doors, we've all kinda gone our own way.
Myself, and others, have started learning to tune ourselves.

It's quite possible that all you need to do i find a dyno and the tuner at modbox can log in remotely and tune on the dyno. I'm sure they have a method of watching for detonation while they are tuning.

Here's a guy to call in your area. Even if he won't do the tuning, he might be able to send you in the right direction.
http://www.westechperformance.com/

Dono is right, myself being one who went the self sufficient route. When I was searching and calling all over Southern California central and even northern california no-one wanted to touch it since it didn't come from the factory as forced induction. What I gathered is California's laws don't give them much wiggle room. If you're willing to go a few hours you may just want to check Nevada or Arizona.

I feel like I've heard of westech before. Probably in a youtube video. I'll make sure to ask them what them what they reccomend for my situation. I'd be okay with going to vegas for a weekend and getting a tune haha. Arizona is also a very good suggestion. I have a couple family members over there. It'll be a while before I get a tune but I want to start searching already.
I actually just got my moddbox kit yesterday. I meant to post on my thread a couple of pictures that I took

What about Foose in Huntington Beach? Or has he pretty much gone Hollywood and only do high end custom work now? I know he does mostly design work but doesn't he still maintain a speed shop? I used to live right near his place many years ago.

@chefduane if I remember correctly that shop was actually the one that told me why they were all saying no. Specifically I recall the sentence "if it didn't come from the factory like that we can't work on it..."

@Big_Pezzy hope you find someone who can help you out. Beyond that, tuning software is a great way to go if you end up doing future mods and if you have the patients to learn how it works and tune, flash, data log, repeat over and over

I will most likely not do any other mods. I would like to have a dyno tune simply because it is easier. But if no one wants to touch a blown explorer, I'll have to be self sufficient like the rest of our community I guess. If I can't find someone to tune for me, I'll most likely do the Lacosta online tune provided through Moddbox and take it from there on my own. I love learning new things anyways

Back