Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers

Are there any tuning options for the standard 3.5V6??

I know Livernois makes tunes for the big ecoboost. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your thread was moved to this one that should answer your question.

Peter

Livernois does, I just put it on my 2014. I had a 5 Star tx tuner on it before and I really didn’t notice anything from it. The Livernois tuner was night and day different! It was power I could feel! The five star was uninspiring. I used Livernois on my f150 a couple of yrs ago and it was great then too. Should have just got the Livernois tuner in the first place.

I'm running a Livernois tune on my '17 XLT. Love it!

Why is there no custom E85 tuning for the NA 3.5???

Why is there no custom E85 tuning for the NA 3.5???
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Don't know for sure but perhaps there is no demand or sufficient demand for it.:dunno: Only way to find out is to send a PM to Livernois or call them.

Peter

Called and asked. Not enough fuel pump to handle anymore tuning from e85.

interesting, wonder if we would need a larger fuel pump and injectors or just fuel pump...

He said would need injectors also.

This Tune No Work In 2012 Ex? :( Only Say 2013+ This Forums No Replay For 2011/2012 3.5 NA

I have a 14 explorer 3.5l v6 non-sport. I originally wanted to trade it in and upgrade to the turbo version, but after doing some research, I found a BullyDog BDX tuner and a company in orange county that does custom tunes. I specifically asked him how much hp I can get out of a custom tune and he said 400hp if I add a cold air intake, which I plan to do.
Does anyone have any experience tuning a non-sport? Also, obviously if it gets more hp the torquesteer will be worse. Any tips on how to better that?
Thanks

I hate to say it but are you sure they weren't thinking it was an ecoboost engine. The non turbo motors won't even come close to 400hp even at the crank let alone the wheels. As you see in this video a stock 3.5 N/A only makes 218hp to the ground. We have an excellent tune but you cannot make 400hp off tune and cold air. If you have any questions feel free to call us at 313-561-5500 my name is Jake

I hate to say it but are you sure they weren't thinking it was an ecoboost engine. The non turbo motors won't even come close to 400hp even at the crank let alone the wheels. As you see in this video a stock 3.5 N/A only makes 218hp to the ground. We have an excellent tune but you cannot make 400hp off tune and cold air. If you have any questions feel free to call us at 313-561-5500 my name is Jake

I specifically told him in a text it was a 3.5L V6 non-turbo but will make sure. With a cold air intake and the best 87 octane tune, how much hp do you think I can add?

Jake answered all my questions, thanks again!

33hp, and 40ft lbs of tq to wheels? That's impressive.

I'm curious if anyone has been using an aftermarket tune for their N/A 3.5L V6 Explorer? I'm not sure how much can be done with these other than increased timing and revised shift scheduling.

I know for a fact Ford messed up the stock shift schedules for at least the 2018 XLT. They had the 6th gear upshift/downshift curves tangling together at one point, and not shifting into 6th gear until at a higher speed. So basically with cruise control on, I'd see it hunting between 5th and 6th frequently on the freeway whenever it encountered some kind of resistance (wind or uphill). The Sport mode schedules were all wrong as well.

I noticed that I could run basically MBT timing with just Costco 87 octane fuel, which is impressive. The engine flows an abysmally low amount of air though, about 28-29 lb/min max.

Not to knock on the HP and Trq gains from the tune that's pretty darn impressive. But I noticed you dyno'd a fwd explorer which will give higher numbers on the Dyno. I'm curious what an AWD explorer makes.

I have a 14 Explorer NA and went with the SSI Performance 91 octane tune. I put a KN CAI on it also.
I can definitely tell a difference in power/accel on the tune. As many have mentioned, it's not a HUGE difference, but worth the $350 I spent. I have put 5k miles on it so far.
The tune itself makes me drive the car more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 14 Explorer NA and went with the SSI Performance 91 octane tune. I put a KN CAI on it also.
I can definitely tell a difference in power/accel on the tune. As many have mentioned, it's not a HUGE difference, but worth the $350 I spent. I have put 5k miles on it so far.
The tune itself makes me drive the car more.

FWD or AWD?

Back