Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Turbo Charching My 95 EX 4.0

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Klowns, September 19, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Klowns

Klowns Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Mesa, Az
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '95 XL
      First of all I would like to say that I know this topic has been beaten to a pulp by many a people. But....

My friend just got done doing all the custom work for building his turbo/blow off valve, headers, intake pipe, exhuast back into piping, intercooler, blah blah, the works.

I asked him if he would be willing to take a look at my EX and see if it would be possible to throw one in mine.

Mind you keeping the blow off valve at 7psi since going any higher would result in having to get new pistons, and all that other trash, keeping at 7psi will be as far as you could go, without blowing up an engine so to speak, yet still use it without worrying about hurting the engine.

Anyway, he took a look under my car, and said yeah, he could do it, would be some work, not too much trouble. I have a 3" body lift on my EX giving it more engine room to work with and stuff, and he wasn't sure if he could make one fit into an explorer without more room. But, we're gonna ask random people that have explorers if we can take a quick peek under the hood etc.

Now I know prolly 95% of you that read this will laugh and mock me, lol. Understood. But, if he's willing to make one for me, and I put it on there, and all is well, would anyone else be interested in this. I would think so.......

If anyone has any questions/comments please post, I don't know very much about this, my friend does. And he'll give me the answers to any questions and stuff, if anyone has some.

Also he would be looking to sell these to a marked of people, he has already started mass producing them for Saturns, and is going to start selling them. He would do the same for the explorer after he took a look at different years, etc.

Anyway, please post any comments/questions. I'll answer if I can, and he'll give me answers to whatever I can't answer.

Also, we haven't had a chance to look at any 5.0's but I'm sure that if it works on my 95, 4.0, we could make em for the 5.0 as well.

BTW, we were talking and we're talking about a pricetag that is far less than anything that "big companies" are putting out for us.

Thanks for reading.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      what kind of a price tag are we looking at here?

BTW, im not going to laugh and mock... sounds like a cool plan and im happy someone is taking the inetiative (sp?) and actually TRYING this.

4. Klowns

Klowns Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Mesa, Az
      '95 XL
      I'm not gonna go spitting out an exact pricetag, well to be honest since, we haven't actually started building it for the EX, but we were talking about putting them out to the public for less than $2500. Now, that can't be for sure since it isn't done yet, that's just talk. But to be honest, I don't think it'll be that much, prolly a little less.

And from what I think I know, that is way way way cheaper than anyone else that is selling the explorer turbo kits. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      cool, ya that sounds a lot cheaper than anything else ive heard tlak of. good luck on the production of it

6. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Good luck!

Just keep in mind it is gonna be much easier to do it on yours with the body lift. You'd need to get a non-bl'ed X to prototype on before you start producing the kit.

7. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      also, there will be a HUGE difference in designing a kit for body lift 4.0 vs. regular 5.0. there is very little room underhood of 5.0. not saying it cant be done, just that it will be ALOT more work...

8. Klowns

Klowns Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Mesa, Az
      '95 XL
      As far the space with a 5.0 compared to a 4.0, yeah I knew that would be a problem with less space of course, cause it's packing more engine already.

As far as producing em on a non BL'ed EX, that is something that has been considered. And if I got it to work on my EX, I'm sure there would be someone here in the Phoenix area, that wouldn't mind lending a vehicle for us to make a prototype, then if they wanted they could possibly recieve the kit at a wholesale price or a tad bit more, cause labor and a few things. I dunno just throwing that up there.

9. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      lol, even if a turbo came out for my 4.0 itd be worthless cuz my transmission is about as strong as lincoln logs:confused: