• Register Today It's free!

turbo muffler on single exhaust

snooper0069

Reaction score
City, State
iowa,louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer sport
just wondering if anyone has a turbo on there stock single exhaust 4.0 v-6 . just wondering if its loud or just mellow. i want it to sound mellow , im not into the loud sound .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by snooper0069
just wondering if anyone has a turbo on there stock single exhaust 4.0 v-6 . just wondering if its loud or just mellow. i want it to sound mellow , im not into the loud sound .
turbo?
Do you mean the Dynomax exhaust? If so, I'm not sure. Never heard one on an Explorer, but have heard them on Mustangs and their not loud compared to flowmasters.
If you want mellow, but with an awsome sound I say go with Magnaflow. They make an awesome muffler. Also haven't heard them on 4.0, but on the 5.0 Explorer and the 4.6 Mustangs they sound incredible, really exotic. A lot of people on here really like the Magnaflow exhaust.
When you said turbo, did you mean like the DynoMax Super-Turbos?

MagnaFlow Rocks! :cool: (on V8s at least)

mmmmm, Magnaflow

Can't beat the lifetime warranty, the mellow idle sound, and the roar at WOT.

Alec, which Magnaflo muffler do you have? I'm debating over flowmaster and magnaflow... I've heard flows on a an X, but not magnaflow.

I have the DynoMax on a 93 XLT

It is not much louder than stock, but it seems to run a lot better now.

Magnaflow doesn't really have series like Flowmaster does. Pretty much all their mufflers sound the same when correctly matched to the vehicle. First, I had a single in/out with 2.5" openings, and a 2.25" tailpipe. Now I have a single in/out with 3" straight through with a 2.5" tailpipe. When at your installer, you basically pick the offset and size that fit best.

On a mostly stock truck, I wouldn't go larger than a 2.5" Magnaflow. Too large and you might bring a little buzz-bee sound out.

was the 2.5 before the supercharger? is that the size a stocker like me should run? I agree 3" on a stcok motor seems waay too big - may be just at the tip -

I still have not committed / bought a cat back - just cannot make up my mind - still like the Borla - hate the price.

I love the look of the F150s wiht the big resonators - would those sound crappy on a V6 - do you think it would look odd if there was only 1? I don't want to move my spare so I can run duals.

Jeff

Originally posted by section525
MagnaFlow Rocks! :cool: (on V8s at least)
Hell ya!, Magnaflows kick ass on V8's especially the 4.6. I started that thread like two weeks ago about the race with the Ferrari, well I was leaving my friends house when that happened, he has a Cobra with headers, magnaflow X-pipe, and Magnaflow Magnapacks, whoo-baby does she scream, at idle she has an incredible burbaly sound. You guys think Flowmasters are loud!, you should hear the Magnaflow Magnapacks. When I get my 02' Mounty (4.6 baby!) within a month, the first day I get it, dual Magnaflows are going on. But I'm really thinking about the Magnapacks, that would be insane.

EDIT - when he starts the Cobra, he sets off all the car-alarms around him.

yup, exhaust system before and after the s/c. You won't need a resonator, it sounds beautiful with just the muffler and tailpipe.

Het Alec, did you ever hear of the Magnapacks? Just wondering, b/c if you had one on your truck, you would sound like a monster commin up the street.

can't seem to find info on them on the Magnaflow website.

Mine is pretty loud without being too loud. I set off 3-4 car alarms a week ;)

I know, I don't know why they don't have any info on the Magnapacks on their site, considering almost every Stang owner wants them.

Go to www.Stangnet.com it's the best Mustang forum, do a search on their and you'll be able to find as much info as you'll be able to handle on Magnaflows and the Magnaflow Magnapacks.

Here's a good thread comparing the two:
Dead Link Removed

EDIT - took me like a half-hour to find that thread, do a search for Magnaflow and you find page upon page on www.Stangnet.com on Magnaflows, thats why it took so long:D
EDIT - Also, you will be pretty suprised at the amount of Mustang owners that have Magnaflows over/compared to Flowmasters;)

Well I just listened to a bunch of sound clips, thanks for the link.

From those clips it sounds like (no pun intended) I wouldn't like the packs. I have a bit of lawnmower in my exhaust as it is, and they'd just make it worse. I have 2 resonators on there now to smooth out the airflow so it sounds better, one before and one after the muffler.

A V6 with free exhaust is never gonna sound like a V8. It's not gonna sound like a 4banger either, a V6 has a destinctive sound. This is expecially true with our large displacement V6s. With mine though, I get resonance from the s/c through the system, and that brings out some lawnmower sometimes, some tiger at other times. I guarantee you won't find another X that sounds like mine though ;) And it's just the right volume for me!

The sounclips they have of the magnapacks do kinda suck on there. You have to hear them with an x-pipe and especially on the cobra, I mean just by starting my friends car anyone around him gets their alarm set off, even my 94' does and I have a Viper 600 w/ESP. On the 94' though my Exhaust sounds ricey to me, I have a 2.5 inch tip so I'm sure the pipe is 2.5 but it doesn't sound like a flowmaster like its more raspy.

With the 02' Mounty 4.6 I'm going for dual Magnaflow mufflers with dual pipes on each side (obviously:D: ) with Magnaflow tips, I can't wait to start it up for the first time and here that modular rumble, can't beat that modular sound!

<insert Tim Allen noises here>

Originally posted by Alec
<insert Tim Allen noises here>
LOL! , I'll pry make that noise when they start it up:D I miss that show, it was mad funny.
Off Topic - they had some sweet cars on their, ever see the Saleen Mustang race car that he owned, damn was that thing nice, had one wicked paint job!

snooper0069 - go with a Magnaflow exhaust, it's exactly what your looking for, plus you'll love the sound.

Back