Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Dono, June 30, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Now that is a great idea.
      Getting an OEM water pump from Summit.
      You can probably trust that Summit wont have counterfeit parts.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Centaurus5.0

Centaurus5.0 Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Here you go:

NOS Ford 5.O 302" Water Pump fits 1997-2001 Mercury Mountaineer + Explorer | eBay

Just about all of the new FoMoCo replacement parts for our rigs are Made in China. Even the GMB North America pump is made in china. Finding "New Old Stock" or "New Take Off" is the only way to find the quality parts we were used to buying in the past. Deceptive marketing and sub par manufacturing is now the norm.

Same thing with suspension parts, brake parts, ignition.. It's even hard to find the old US made oem coil packs that have the brown motorcraft label. The new ones with the blue label are china made. Most of the brake rotors made today despite the brand (performance or not) are made in China.

That sucks the FlowKooler came like that. That's lost confidence right there. Makes you wonder if the rest of the pump is up to par. Since the impeller/vane is pressed on to the shaft, wonder if you could attach a dampener pulley on it and move it out a hair the sand down the trouble spot, but there is the chance of damaging it..

Keep an eye out for old school parts and buy them when you can if you plan on keeping a second gen for the long haul. Quality parts are hard enough to find today and will be close to non-existant in the near future.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: June 23, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    4. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      don probably knows my experience with a no name pump. it was cast wrong. end result it wiped out my one off balancer which i had to send out to get repaired. then because of that, it no longer was in balance with my crank, which also ment ordering a new crank, having it balanced and tearing the motor apart.

5. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I gave the flowkooler a shot, even after reading about their quality control issues. Now I know first hand to stay away from them.
      I'm not sure is the motorcraft will be USA made or not, It will be interesting to see.

6. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Unless the motorcraft pump has been sitting on the shelf for the last 8 years, it will be made in China.

Like I say.. buy up ALL the old original parts you can for your rigs now. Once they are gone.. that is it. :dead:

7. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      My understanding is that not all China manufactured stuff is substandard, and that typically they will manufacture to any standard, as long as you are willing to pay for it. I'm hoping that paying the premium for the motorcraft unit gives me a high quality unit (as the price should command).

8. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      I agree it may be better quality then the other brands available because FoMoCo still has it's standards, but experience has taught me new Chinese parts aren't as well made as the old US made parts.

Just trying to look out for you.

:dpchug:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    9. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The WP I have as pictured before, from China, at a glance compares the same as the good Ford WP. I had both in my hand deciding which to use, and other than the small Ford emblem on the one, they seem to be very close to the same quality.

The real test is the quality of the seals, and assembly tolerances, everything lines up and fits right etc.

Ford stopped selling the rack and pinions for our trucks, from the previous source, last Fall. I happened to ask about the price of a rebuilt rack. It was about $175, and I loved that, but wanted to wait to decide if I wanted one, two or three. A month later the source and pricing changed. Then it went to around $450, shipping was a lot of that too. It's still similar now, I asked again a couple of weeks ago. I think Ford sold the others on a clearance price, they used to be in the $275 range years ago.

Owning an old used Ford takes a special knack for finding and collecting certain parts.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Last edited: June 25, 2018
    11. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Do you have electric fans Dono?

Was think you might be able to install a quality Stewart pump made for SN-95's if you don't need to mount the mechanical fan and have the clearance.

Stewart Components

Came across this thread..
      Mustang Water Pump on Explorer

12. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I do have a electric fan, but the clearance is still super tight. I'd need to go to some form of offset dual fan setup (contour fans maybe?) to gain clearance at the water pump.

Does that stewart pump stick out further? This is another find that I didn't know about.
      Stewart has a great name for quality.

13. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    14. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      willzilla figured out his Meziere WP a while back. I'm not considering doing that, but I think he is a good example of what it takes to do it.

15. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Yes, I'm not interested in an electric pump on a daily driver either.
      The Steward Mechanical posted seems to ccw rotation (reverse) , just like our trucks.
      I did find that it's longer at 4.07" (But I don't know how long a factory unit is until I measure).

I found the pump on summit also. Shipping costs would be less going this route, but I don't think I have room for it with my current fan setup.
      https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/emp-16183

16. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I think the pulley used with an SN95(94-95) WP would be critical. The pulley is smooth, but it has to have enough surface rearward more than the Mustangs. The Explorer belt is back more by almost 3/8", the electric pump's pulley evidently has just enough. I can measure the Explorer WP, just a minute...

17. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Okay, the Explorer 302 WP is 4.25" long to the shaft end. But from the back, to the pulley mounting surface, is only 3 3/8" distance.

18. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
    19. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I think that's the same 180* T'stat I just installed in my truck, with a new radiator and fan/clutch set. I'm seeing about 175* every day most of the time, on my Scan Gauge I've hooked up recently. The highs seem to hit 180-190* each day, that's about 4-5 hours of drive time in 56 miles, typically we're 75-90* during my route. I run the AC after it's been in the mid 80's a while, usually about an hour at the end of my route. That doesn't affect the coolant temps at all.

• Useful Useful x 1
    20. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Looks like you guy figured it out.. The SN95 is a reverse same as the explorer but about 3/4" longer. Dons right about the pulley being the issue.. but there are way around that a well.. but may be too much trouble. As long as the stock pump is working for you, why give yourself more headaches they you already have. I do think its doable to use a sn95 pump with offset fans and the right pulley.. if needed.

And there is of coarse other things that can be done like a cooler thermo like you mentioned or installing a big air-to-oil cooler or vents in the hood or fenders, pusher (along with a puller) fan, thermal coatings.. but, I do think we sometimes shoot ourselves in the foot by over-engineering solutions to problems we don't have.. which I have been guilty of in the past. But I do like to conceive every possible option and senerio and find every part available and brainstorm what is possible and what is not before coming up with a final (and most simple and least expensive and least bs) conclusion.. as ya'll do.:)

What we really need to do as enthusiast is band together and start petitioning companies to make the parts we want and need. A well written letter and a couple hundred signatures telling Stewart to start making a pump for us Explorer/ 5.0L swap guys or to custom header makers for 1 5/8" shorty headers and they will take notice. Of coarse all of us here know how that always works out.. 99.9% sit back and don't say anything and hope something will happen without effort on there part..

But anywho.. as you were gentlemen

:popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
    21. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      The enthusiast thing didn't work so well on the Torque Monster group buy thru Al's headers. Its to bad that worked out the way it did.
      It's tough with our 20 year old trucks to get any manufacturer to even blink in our direction.

Just how many people are crazy enough to modify the crap out of an old explorer to make it go fast? Probably not the same market as mustangs, that's for sure.

22. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      I would have to say, there are many more 5.0L explorers still on the road than 94-95 5.0 Mustangs. And take Al's headers as an example, how many "race" headers do they actually sell in a week for 60+ year old VW bugs?

Used explorer motors are the go-to budget sbf to use for anything because really, that is all that is left to use in the junk yards while having the best sbf factory heads, intake, accessories, etc.. just look at how many things people put them in! Bronco's, Rangers, Rock Crawlers, Buggies, Racer Cars, F150's, Many different Kit Cars and Resto-Mods, Mustangs, Miatas, Boats... They have the shortest accessory drive and if you could make some headers, they would have the tightest fit headers which would replace other vehicle specific headers that are already out for sbf, design some universal fit with extension adapters to fit different collector positions. If they are still making parts for flatheads, I don't think the explorer 5.0L's will be disappearing anytime soon.

But like we all found out here, just finding a halfway descent pump is hard to find at any price and for $15 more that a China made Motorcraft you could buy a superior made American pump that cools better and last longer, if they just made one for our rigs.

I dunno. I just can't get me no satisfaction with the aftermarket automotive companies these days..

• Like Like x 1
    23. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Is there something like the GoFundMe site but where people submit request for aftermarket part and people vote for them and then vendors pledge to produce a part when it gets so many likes or hits or views?

24. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Aftermarket support is lobbied by big name vehicle manufacturers, for certain models. Deals are struck, before they ever get into production stage. Cornering a market is a strategic maneuver and plays a part in the vehicles production projections. Non compete clauses are part of these deals. These deals are made with large parts manufacturers, and we are left with the small companies to make special, unpopular products. The prices are high, as they can't compete or produce for the same costs. Not many are willing to stick a neck out, for fear of going in the red, and that's not why they are in bizz to begin with . This leaves the enthusiasts to make the small number of odd parts we desire. The die hard, figures a way to fabricate, modify, or beg. The band Wagoner, folds, jumps ship, and joins the masses with the plentiful cheap after market suppprt.

• Like Like x 1
    25. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      what kind of idiots would do a stupid thing like that?

• Like Like x 1
    26. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      I wrote to Meziere about having an electric water pump made for the 4.0 SOHC.
      Figured "why not?" since I had custom pulleys made by ASP racing (thanks to JD for the tip) and a custom intercooler by Bell intercoolers I was having good luck having custom stuff made.
      They replied which I though was great. They stated that to start the engineering process it would be 2,000. And then it would go up from there until completed
      They also stated I could just use an inline pump(from them) and install it in the radiator hose and cut the stock water pump impellor off.