Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Dono, June 30, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Limited V8
      That's actually a great idea for us v8 guys with limited space up front also. We could trim the front of the water pump down also to get some more clearance.
      Yea, we are paying to play, that's for sure. On the electric water pump I'm just not sold on them with a daily driver. 8 more amps being drawn at idle with AC, fan on full, headlights, etc. Complexity, risk when its well below freezing......Just scary.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Ditto, my electric cooling fan in my 99 works great, but when the circuit breaker failed, the engine hit 270* before I caught it. No harm was done, except the failed open T'Stat. But the reliability is really important, it has to be done properly.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Centaurus5.0

Centaurus5.0 Elite Explorer

Albums:
      96'
      Reliability is absolute.

Even though they are on millions of cars, I can't take the risk of one failing when I'm driving across the country by myself towing at or near max load though mountains and deserts or going through deep water if I find myself in severe weather or creek crossing. Fuel pumps, water pumps and electric issues (electric fan) I find are the 3 biggest gotchas. A blown water pump almost ruined a trip for me once already. Stock fuel pumps go 20 years/ 150k plus miles reliably and should only need to be changed once (maybe twice) in the lifetime of rig. Everything else either gives warning signs (noise or feel), can be "fixed" on the side of the road or nursed along until you get to a shop or parts store. A fuel pump will just leave you stranded but a blown out water pump or in-op cooling fan can blow an engine. A lot of heat can accumulate under a hood without some kind constant air circulation and will effect everything rubber, plastic and electrical. (For example: coil pack life if effected by heat.) Same thing with overheating a transmission, The metal parts don't have a problem with 300 degrees, it's the seals and fluid that do. I take my mech fan off completely from Nov-Mar when temps are -0 to 50 and I don't go out of town so it's not a problem in the least. But high HP(heat) or 80+ high temps and/or stagnate air can roast an engine if cooling is not in constant check. If you had a blower/turbo under the hood and headers with long tubes filling up all the extra space in the engine bay, things can get bad even quicker, I would imagine.

I would love to have an electric fan if for any other reason not to hear fan woosh and free up a dozen or so hp when spinning it, but rock solid reliable cooling is too important for me to ditch the mechanical fan. Not to mention the added draw on the electrical system puts more strain on the alternator and battery which in turn lesses there life from the heat when the fan is not moving, and increased risk of electrical gremlins manifesting themselves with every extra wire and connection.

An observation: You only see electric fans on cars. Heavy vehicles (pick-ups/suv's) that are designed to haul loads have mech fans or mech fans with an electric cut off with a fail-safe. To move weight takes power, and to move more weight (or move weight faster) means more power means more heat means cooling is more critical. Look at how much surface area the front (grill) these new pickup trucks have now. Our 2nd gens are limited in this area.

Hood vents anyone?
      [​IMG]

Last edited: June 28, 2018
    5. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Modified 95 XLT
      I think all of our heavily modified vehicles will never see the use, they once did in stock form. The 95 ex gets worked on more than used, and has logged around 10k miles in the last 10 years. It has beefed up parts, that make stock parts, look like toy parts. These parts will be abused harder than stock parts, and can (& will) succumb to failure, just like stock parts do, but...As I always say, it's better to overbuild, than under-build.

Now lightly modified vehicles is a different story. If your hopping up your stocker, just to make it a bit faster, handle better, and just more enjoyable to operate, that's when these systems/parts are really put to the test for longevity & reliability. I also think that some items are best left alone in stock configuration, just for that reason.

So, if a stock part can last for 100k miles, and the vehicle is already 20 years old, and the chances of it going another 100k miles are slim, why not just use a new stock part? This is where the cheap overseas replacement parts kick our ass, and this line of reasoning. So what do we do now? Blind faith,with trial and error, is the only answer I can think of.

One of us should start a trusted parts forum, that people can submit what products they used, and reviews of success or failures. Can have a OME & an aftermarket section. Just an idea here, but it seems too many of us keep spending hard earned cash, only to find it failed, or is sub-par to expectations/hype.

I think I will keep my 5.0 as close to stock as possible, and only do very mild upgrades. When the time comes, I hope to get as much help/input as the rest of you have gave on this site. :D

• Like Like x 1
    6. Centaurus5.0

Centaurus5.0 Elite Explorer

Albums:
      96'
      GREAT IDEA GMAN! and right on point with your observations about aftermarket and oem part.

EF lost much when it lost the old product reviews section. As always is the case, having a format that is easy to navigate and able to see everything at a glance is key. One thread with 80 pages isn't efficient, and neither is a separate thread for each part or a sticky most people will over look. I like the old Internet with just one main page with pics and links and info all in one place that take you to other pages with more detailed pics and links and info.. like the old EF page and tccoa.com.

I for one have plenty of pics and opinions to share when it come to parts..

@Rick @turtle :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    7. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Making an Explorer ( Mounty) go fast. Meh, it would have been easier to try to save my first marriage.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      • Like Like x 4