Turboboost on 2.0 Explorer needs to be replaced (underboost) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wjc

Reaction score
City, State
Sinking Spring
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Has anyone else had problems with the turbobooster in Ford Explorers. I have a 2013 with 62,000 miles (so out of warrenty naturally). The warning light has come on intermittently, and we have been told they hear a rattle in the turboboost and the wastegate is broken. They said they must replace the turboboost. Now here's the real kicker, Ford does not have the parts in stock, and we have been told the vehicle is not driveable. The part will not be available for at least a month, until September, and the dealership has not offered us a loaner car. Anyone else having issues like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not seen a post on here yet about a turbo needing to be replaced as of yet. Have you contacted Ford to request assistance? Your powertrain I believe is 5yr/60,000 miles so you are only 2,000 miles outside of warranty. The warranty unfortunately is black and white.. 5yr or 60k... you are out of warranty so they do not owe you anything. I would not expect any dealer to offer a loaner being this is a customer pay repair.

However as I suggested, I would still contact Ford and state your case. Not sure if you will get anywhere or not.. and they do offer ESP plans for vehicles which obviously you did not purchase.

Good luck!

Yeah, call into Ford on this one. They may not do much for the repair itself, but since the part is on backorder and you're working with a Ford dealer, perhaps they'll comp a rental for you.

Remember, being nice goes a long way, and legally, they don't owe you a thing.

Has anyone else had problems with the turbobooster in Ford Explorers. I have a 2013 with 62,000 miles (so out of warrenty naturally). The warning light has come on intermittently, and we have been told they hear a rattle in the turboboost and the wastegate is broken. They said they must replace the turboboost. Now here's the real kicker, Ford does not have the parts in stock, and we have been told the vehicle is not driveable. The part will not be available for at least a month, until September, and the dealership has not offered us a loaner car. Anyone else having issues like this?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As blwnsmoke posted, there have been no reports here of turbos having to be replaced. Ford is under no obligation to supply loaners/rentals even for warranty repairs. See Warranty Guide. When a dealer supplies one, it is usually at their expense unless Ford has authorized it for special cases. This could be one of those cases since the delay is being caused by Ford. Good luck.

Peter

I got a 2.0 liter Ecoboost 80k miles and the turbo is shot. Just ordered a new one and all related gaskets from the dealer and going to change my self. Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks to look out for?

I got a 2.0 liter Ecoboost 80k miles and the turbo is shot. Just ordered a new one and all related gaskets from the dealer and going to change my self. Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks to look out for?

How did you know the turbo was shot? I have a 2012 ecoboost that is throwing the "turbo underboost" code and I have noticed a lack of power. However, I haven't heard any whine or other noise from the turbo. Also, how much did you end up paying for a new turbo? I'm hoping I don't have to change mine, but fearing the worst. Haven't had the best of luck with this vehicle. Ford has really let me down with their cheap engineering and lack of overall quality on this Explorer.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

How did you know the turbo was shot? I have a 2012 ecoboost that is throwing the "turbo underboost" code and I have noticed a lack of power. However, I haven't heard any whine or other noise from the turbo. Also, how much did you end up paying for a new turbo? I'm hoping I don't have to change mine, but fearing the worst. Haven't had the best of luck with this vehicle. Ford has really let me down with their cheap engineering and lack of overall quality on this Explorer.
About six months ago I got a check engine light and lost a lot of power. Checked the code and it gave me "Turbo under boost" as well as a "Waste Gate over pressure" code. I took it to the dealer and they told me the waste gate was malfunctioning and since it was only available wit the turbo, the turbo had to be replaced as well. At this point the turbo did have slight whine to it than normal. I could not afford the $3k dollars the dealer wanted to replace the turbo so I took it home and did more research on what could have caused the waste gate to not work. I talked to some techs at a local dealer and found out that ford had a service bulletin for the waste gate solenoid to be changed if the waste gate was not working. It was fairly inexpensive ($30) so I bought it and changed it myself. I believe that fixed the waste gate because the check engine light went off and the power returned. However the turbo still had a whine and over time it got louder and louder. As well as it began leaking a small amount of oil. So about two weeks ago my wife was driving it and it completely lost power and started blowing white smoke out the exhaust. I loosened the cool side hose clamp and got some oily residue mixed with coolant. So I ordered the turbo from an Autonation dealer for about 40% less than my local dealer, it was backordered for about two weeks but shipped Monday and I should be changing it this weekend.

Since you are only slightly out of warranty I would put in a case with Ford. Normally manufacturers have an unwritten grace period were they at their discretion may offer you some prorated partial coverage.
I had a coworker need both turbos on his Taurus (same engine) replaced at 120,000km. In Canada it's $2000 each per Turbo parts and labor!

This thread is no surprise to me. I owned a very early generation 2.3L turbo in the '80s and those turbos like clockwork lasted about 50,000 miles. It's great to see that longevity has increased, but because of my past experience I avoid turbos at all costs.

Making this post mostly to vent and maybe help someone else out. The Turbo on my wife's Explorer died at just over 55k. Should be under warranty right? Problem is I took it to Ford for a rattle and loss of power when I noticed the issue (did not know at the time that the turbo failed), they recommended replacing a motor mount on the bottom of the engine (anti-roll Mount). It took some time to get the part and get it installed. The car still made noise, no check engine light just a noisy rattle at idle and loss of power. I finally took it back to Ford and told them to keep it until the found the rattle and issue (I suspected the turbo after some reading). Now my car is under 60k still but since Feb it hit its 5yr mark (I took it in well before Feb for this issue originally). The dealer called to let me know that the Turbo had failed and they seemed to be getting a few of these lately. They stated I was out of warranty and went to Ford on my behalf to get some help...no dice. Repairs are $2100 to get the turbo replaced all out of pocket. I even brought up the fact that I complained about the issue last year to no avail.

Long story short... Turbos are on national back order and may take weeks to get. Ford releases 100-200 or so a month and there is a list of over 100 back orders from Ford (per the dealership). So here I am, I can drive the car it's not causing any fuel economy issues that are huge and no check engine lights. The car just lacks power, Its like driving an old K car from the 80's and no matter how hard you hit the gas it will take its sweet time to get up to speed. The car has always had its oil and maintenance completed at the dealership so I can't blame it on lack of oil changes. After hearing the list of these being replaced I'd imagine I am far from the only one having to do this.

I reported the issue to the NHTSA and I would suggest others follow suit. It can potentially cause a safety issue due to a sudden loss of power while in traffic. Maybe with enough complaints Ford can cover these repairs or recall the turbos and replace. I am just hoping the new turbo is a revised part and better built or else I am getting rid of the car asap.

Sad story and am sorry to hear about your experience with the turbo. I have experienced something similar to this many years ago and wrote the quote below to the thread in bold:

Turboboost on 2013 2.0 Explorer underboosts and needs to be replaced

"This thread is no surprise to me. I owned a very early generation 2.3L turbo in the '80s and those turbos like clockwork lasted about 50,000 miles. It's great to see that longevity has increased, but because of my past experience I avoid turbos at all costs."

Unfortunately I think Ford will make quite a bit of service revenue replacing turbos, water pumps and every so often engines.

Sorry to hear about this. If it's documented that you took it in prior to the 5yr mark with the symptom of "loss of power" I would think that's enough to prove that it was the turbocharger and not the motor mount especially since fixing the motor mount didn't even correct the rattle. Can a motor mount even cause loss of power?

i keep having the CEL come on for the dreaded "underboost". It will come and go, but lately it's started coming on more often and staying on longer. I also now have a significant loss of power. Last week I decided to try to figure out the problem after the light had stayed on for a couple of weeks. I checked and pulled off some hoses to inspect them, cleaned the MAP and MAF sensors and put everything back together. The light then went off and I no longer had a loss of power, until today. I was sitting in a lot of stop and go traffic while it was 100 degrees outside. When I was finally able to get moving, I stepped on the accelerator but had a huge loss of power. Pulled over into a parking lot, turned the car off then back on and it seems I have more power, but not what it should be. This is the first turbo vehicle I've ever owned, so I have no idea what it could be. Am I about to have to replace the turbo, or could it be a solenoid or valve or something else?

It would be up to the dealer for misdiagnosing the issue, not Ford. It is their resoonsibility to diagnose and repair. They blamed it on a different part and replaced it not fixing the issue. You could talk to Ford yourself and not the dealership and see if they will work with you OR talk to the GM.

If the vehicle still made the noise after 1st repair, why didn't the dealer keep digging? Why did you take it back?

Sorry about your situation but you should have never accepted it back. This is a dealer issue.

$941 for turbo..

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...e/engine-cat/turbocharger-and-components-scat

I don't doubt there is fair amount costs in labor to replace the turbo and perhaps some associated components that are recommended to be replaced at the same time. This may be semi similar to the water pump which only cost about $40-$65, but the total repair cost listed within this forum ranges from about $1,300 to $2,500.

There is a $500 difference between retail turbo cost and through the dealer I posted. That in itself will save him good money.

There is a $500 difference between retail turbo cost and through the dealer I posted. That in itself will save him good money.

Fully agreed and that's a great help to him. I know with other automotive dealerships part costs can change depending on the area they reside in, dependent somewhat of the local cost of living. If I recall Ford dealerships work the same way, meaning the same part in one area could have a different cost than from a Ford dealership in another area.

I have been able to get good will help from the dealership 25% off of the repair ($1590 is now the price) after a nice chat with them. I replaced the motor mount and not the dealership, it was not covered under the power train warranty (It was $140 in labor for a 10min repair). It took about a month to get the part and a couple of months for me to get around to replacing it. Honestly if I had known my warranty expired in Feb I would have pushed it more. I googled the rattle noise and it was more than likely a heat shield, Ford dealership said the mount had too much movement and would rub the heat shield. If you google Explorer and Rattle (even include Ecoboost) you get nothing but timing chain issues about the 4.0L. Its hard to figure out the issue when its not documented anywhere. My wife bought it used and I never drive it.. my wife never complains... out of site out of mind so I never pressed it/ thought about it until I drove it the other day. Mistakes have been made on both sides Ford dealership and mine. In the end the thread is more for people to know about the issue and symptoms and to get it fixed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't doubt there is fair amount costs in labor to replace the turbo and perhaps some associated components that are recommended to be replaced at the same time. This may be semi similar to the water pump which only cost about $40-$65, but the total repair cost listed within this forum ranges from about $1,300 to $2,500.
Off topic a bit but found a problem diagnosing this same issue anyone got a part number for the axle carrier bearing mount on that same side

Back