"TURDLE" or " How to mess up a perfectly good truck" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"TURDLE" or " How to mess up a perfectly good truck"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it is about time I do this
This is our 1998 Mountaineer.
We acquired it in late 2000, with 29 k on the odometer. Previously it prowled the Oklahoma turnpike as an unmarked police cruiser.

I would say it was about June-2001, when the initial madness set in, and I became obsessed with changing the looks.
I found Explorer Express, Where I scored the x-spec suspension.
After talking with John V., I learned of the Apten group buy here, and the rest is as they say, history.
In June of 2002, I acquired an exhaust leak. Being the expert I thought I was, I bought a header gasket set, went to fix it.
Well, in my thinking I didn't have the front bolt tight enough, I snapped it off into the head---ooops.
After pouting about this for awhile, I decided to really get into this site for answers.
The result--

347 cubic inch, stroked and bored engine

FMS sportsman block-bored .030 over and machined for stroke
Billet crankshaft with chev rod journals
H-beam ultra light rods
Probe PRS forged pistons -9cc dish ( slightly over 10:1 compression)
Melling stock volume oil pump
Edelbrock performer efi heads 2.02 intake, 1.60 ex valve 58cc chambers
Crane's roller lifters--billet aluminum lifter guides
Crane's roller rockers
comp cams pushrods
Cloyes true billet double timing set.
FMS X-303 camshaft, advanced 4 degrees
Professional products Typhoon intake and EGR elbow, with 1" phenolic spacer
FMS 42 lb injectors
Aeromotive fuel rails, boost reference regulator ( currently set to 43 psi.)
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump--return style 3402
Lightning MAF
Torquemonster headers--stock exhaust with rear cats removed--magnaflow dula in single out-Hooker Aerochamber stacked right behind, 3" mandrel bent MAC tailpipe.
Art Carr 3000 RPM flash lockup converter ( 10 " billet housing)
Art Carr built valvebody kit
Amsoil fluids in all otherwise stock components. ( since I change my oil early and often, I use the least expensive synthetic oil. Usually Amsoil, but sometimes I will use Mobil 1)

AWD IS OUT!! 4406 4X4 IS IN!
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185203&highlight=turdle

UPDATE
As of 2-17-08
I mentioned the truck being a poilice cruiser in it's first life-
well, this caused a little "glitch"
While the PCM says it is a NRT1 box code, somewhere along the line a police code was flashed into the PCM.
My original paperwork shows a dealer service call for a PCM reflash right before the title was signed over. I am assuming the police tune was recovered, and a stock tune re loaded.
However,
they didn't mention they loaded it with a MC2O box code.
After 2 trials with the initial run tune, I actually read the box code with the XCAL2 and James deteremined This error.

Once this was figured out-the tuning was ON!!!

Baseline tuning is complete and all is well. I'm waiting on a new Innovate LM-1 wideband for WOT tuning.
Somehow mine took a dump,
I spent a whole day trying to figure it out. If it had been operating though it would have been a breeze.

James ( jah81592) is about the best help a guy could ask for in this area.

www.hensonperformance.com

UPDATE 2
Tuning complete-after a few WOT pulls to 6000 rpm's
James has not only achieved a great tune in my truck, but totally eliminated the surging issues I was experiencing.

UPDATE 3

Truck now lifted for trip to Colorado Gold mine trails--page8

Update 4
colorado trip completed-Imogene pass and Black bear pass have been driven in this truck
woo hoo!!
picture of black bear pass-

update 5
On Sept 19, 2008 Went to KCIR and ran a 14.8 @ 90mph---2.002 60 ft time
I was snoozing and did everything wrong. It has more in it.

Update 6

After drooling over Mountaineergreen's extensive suspension mod list for years-

With a feeling of guilt, for not doing the actual work myself, I have acquired his

4" superlift suspension lift,
410 gears
aussie locker in rear
disconnect front diff--- http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188359
double cardan front drive shaft ---http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

285-75-16" cooper discovery sst (33") tires

UPDATE 7

Exhaust Dumps installed 4-15-2009
These allow the exhaust to be opened right after the cats.

new pics as of 3-16 2009

HPIM4066.jpg

HPIM4067.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

update 8

Added another stock trans cooler beside original, installed hard lines and twin 10" cooling fans

fansbumper.jpg

They seemed to work just fine

DSCF2694.jpg

Update 9

Sliders installed!!!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245321&highlight=sliders

stupidbracket.jpg

I used Smoked chrome powder coat on front and rear bumpers, sliders, and wheels make for a factory look match
Bumper pictures are before slider install-

bumperdonenoflash.jpg

attachment.php

Next up--Get rid of torsion bar drop brackets, and, the bars themselves.

I also have some mild white neon tube rock lights, some very bright 55w rock lights, and, 6 rock llight of death tubes ( to be shown later)

stay tuned!!

turdleflex.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup:
Now sporting a GMC heavy duty 8.6 liter truck muffler, and single 3" out pipe.
This muffler is huge--straight thru design with tons of sound shielding. It is about 33" long and 14" square ( yes tall and wide), dual 2.5 in single 2.5 out.
The rear cats were removed--this muffler completely fills the rear cat-stock muffler space. It looks like another gas tank!! lol
There is a stock appearing turndown right behind the rear tire.
They will fit a 3" when it is lifted up a bit.

The sound is amazing--i love it. It has a nice Big block growl when romped, however at highway speed there is no exhaust note at all. nothing but wind and tire noise---at idle from the front of the truck, you can hear the accesories spinning, varying with the camshaft lope.
I have noticed no change in performance---however, now I can get to my shackles--and good bye to the fuel line and spare tire clearance "discomfort" I was experiencing.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Good to 'hear' Jon.

I know I will be displeased with the tiny magnaflow muffler I am going to have on my V8. It will be too loud for my liking. I will either add another muffler, add 2 resonators, or just buy one huge muffler. Not sure what to do yet. I enjoy being able to hear the engine itself also, not just the exhaust.

Sound clip?

Jt - Guess I'm a nerd cuss I just stumbled on this thread. Nice! I'll keep an eye out on this one.

Attachments

• tims.jpg
    tims.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,341

Jon: Sounds like your muffler is similar to mine only mine is not quite as long. It actually fit into the basic space from the original muffler, it is a turbo style for an 8.2 liter brand C large truck with dual 2 1/4" inlets and a 3" single outlet. Without the rear cats I have a slight, and I mean VERY slight, drone at 55-60 mph. You can hear it in the cab, but it's definitely not loud. I have outstanding throttle response off idle, so I confident that 3" isn't too large. It snaps to 5500 plus RPM very quickly in first gear.

Jon: Sounds like your muffler is similar to mine only mine is not quite as long. It actually fit into the basic space from the original muffler, it is a turbo style for an 8.2 liter brand C large truck with dual 2 1/4" inlets and a 3" single outlet. Without the rear cats I have a slight, and I mean VERY slight, drone at 55-60 mph. You can hear it in the cab, but it's definitely not loud. I have outstanding throttle response off idle, so I confident that 3" isn't too large. It snaps to 5500 plus RPM very quickly in first gear.

I am very pleased with this setup also---And it got the tips out of the way so I can change my shackles--

Compliments on the nice job on your truck. I have a 1999 E.B. 4x4 4.0 SOHC and I am having trouble finding performance parts for it. I would like to add a simple front spoiler, lowering kit a couple inches and similar wheels that you have. What kind of wheels do you have and what size?

Any help would be great.
Thank You
Nick

Compliments on the nice job on your truck. I have a 1999 E.B. 4x4 4.0 SOHC and I am having trouble finding performance parts for it. I would like to add a simple front spoiler, lowering kit a couple inches and similar wheels that you have. What kind of wheels do you have and what size?

Any help would be great.
Thank You
Nick

Hey Nick, welcome--and thanks for the compliment!

I have 17x9 Eagle replica wheels, with 275-60-17 tires.

Hey--you might like this section of the forum--

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

show off.... LOL

hey you have any close ups or where you took the side moulding off, ive been thinking about do it and patining everything black but didnt know if there was a "tape line" or not

hey you have any close ups or where you took the side moulding off, ive been thinking about do it and patining everything black but didnt know if there was a "tape line" or not

The transition on mine was pretty well done--I did have a small red pinstripe tape over the transition line--but I have since removed it.

well i looked at come of the edges(door jambs) and its pretty rough on mine, so im gonna leave the molding on there, including the one you sent me!!, lol it took like 6 months to put it on, im gonna just paint the molding too

I think FWHP it fly wheel horse power?

video no workie

It runs and stays running! I am impressed.

What did you do jsut ditch both cat converters, or finally remove the secondary cats or what?
Lets see some details of your exhaust setup

Also your truck is slow and sounds crappy :)

Kidding!

nm i just downloaded it. God i love that sound. It idles like a circle track car--sorta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back