1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Turkey frying, hints, tips, tricks, and stories.

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Charlie's_93EB, December 19, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Charlie's_93EB

Charlie's_93EB Cat 3 Hurricane Rated

City, State:
      Venice florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 Eddie Bauer
      First of all I did search and did not come up with much.

So let me start with the story, last year we had ham for Xmas, not turkey but lame ham, it was good but turkey is the only way to fly on holidays, right?

Well, fast forward to Thanksgiving 2004, we had a 24lbs turkey, well my family can eat after dinner I only had enough turkey for one sandwich :mad:
      So I say why don't we fry a turkey for Christmas? Well, that got translated to "I would love to fry a turkey next month."

So I have been hunting around for a fryer, I found that a good stainless steel 28 qrt fryer was going to run $60-$70, then I found an electric fryer at the home depot for $100, it looked good, so I went there to look at it and it was on sale for $60 :D and peanut oil for $23.

Now is where you guys come in, hints tricks and tips time.

PS
      and how is your dad doing?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. dreamr

dreamr Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lynnwood WA
      99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
      Ever had a deep fried bird MMMMMMMM

BBQ Hot Dogs needs to lend his culinary expertise here. I still dream of his backyard setup!!!!

4. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      Is the only way to do a turkey,Tips I have learned, never let the oil temp deviate from a steady 350, if using propane as I do, always make sure the tank has enough fuel to get the bird done, 3 mins per Lb, whislt watching the process and drinking beer is best not to be wearing berkinstocks cause you will get hot oil on your feet.
      After the bird is done, toss in a bunch of potatoe wedges for the next days breakfast.
      This clarifys the oil, next day I ladle it back into the orig container and put it in the chest freezer, we use it four more times before getting rid of it, as a side note, takes 3 days to thaw.enjoy

5. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      Charlie- pops is doing fine. It healed up eventually, giant pink spot on the top of his hand though. He has learned his lesson and now will not fire up the cooker without the little hook thingy present. :p

Dont know about the electric fryer.... we just use a fish cooker. As spindle said, even temps ARE A MUST. I try to maintain 360 degrees, and never let it get below 345 or so. When you drop a large bird in there, its nice to be able to crank the heat at the same time and then slowly turn it back down to maintain temps. A 20 something lb bird will drop the oil temps a bit when first dumped in. This technique takes practice.

Other than that, spindlecone pretty much layed it out. 350 degrees or so @ 3 minutes a pound.

6. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      turkey frying tips

I get to fry 4-5 turkeys a year.. (only for thanksgiving and xmas.. oh yea superbowl..)...

Some things I've learned...

#1 Most important.. DO FRY A TURKEY WHEN WEARING SHORTS.... and I recomend you wear gloves (thick rubber) as you put in the turkey since it will spatter as you put it in..
      #2 Figure out how much oil you really need... Put the turkey (on its metal thing to hold it up) in the pot and measure how much water you need to just cover it (don't fudge the number up)...Thats how much oil you will need. Remember, oil expands as it gets hot so use just enough water to cover it.. There is nothing worse than finding out you dont' have enough hot oil and having too much so it comes over the top when you put in the turkey isn't goo deither.
      #3 If your going to use injected seasoning try to put only 4 holes in the bird total... (one on each breast and one on each leg)... You can put 2 moe in the back if you like that meat. Just re-use the hold and aim the needle different directions.. (I like buying store bought Creole Butter turkey seasoning from Barbeque Galore)
      #4 When using injected seasoning make sure you don't have solids in it.. IF you do you end up with a seasoning channel (a place with too much seasoning)..
      #5 Inject the turkey about 30 minuts before you fry it...
      #6 get that turkey as dry as possible before you put it into the fryer.. Don't forget to get the water from between the ribs and in the joints...
      #7 Get the oil SLIGHTLY hotter than you need.. E.g. I get my oil to 375 then put the turkey in.. by the time its in it is down to 350..
      #8 Turn off the flame as you put the turkey in.. that way if you splash the oil you won't catch it on fire..
      #9 Its 3 minutes a pound + 5 minutes (no matter how big it is)...
      #10 let it set 10 minutes on a wire rack after you take it out to let any oil drip off (don't put it in a pan or the skin at the bottom will get soggy).
      #11 You don't need peanut oil.. I usually use vegtable oil... The idea behind peanut oil is that it is slightly better for you but more importantly it has a higher flash point.. But if you keep an eye on the oil that should be an issue.

Ok.. thats what I can think off off the top of my head... If you have any questions on frying turkeys.. let me know...

~Mark....

7. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      I use Canola oil for my trurkey frying.

8. TSTONE

TSTONE Giddy up! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland County, MI
      97 Mountaineer
      Don't be my Uncle Dave and attempt to do it on the deck, he burned down 1100sqft of decking. :banghead:

9. Skibug

Skibug Active Member

City, State:
      Pensacola, FL
      96 Sport 4x4
      All I can say is Cajun, Cajun, Cajun.

We Fry up about 3-4 turkeys a year and cajun is the only way to go. We inject cajun seasoning and also get a cajun rub to go on the skin. This makes the skin come out looking black and burnt, but is actually the best tasting part of the turkey.

MMMMMM. Can't wait till this weekend when we fry up the bird.

10. Positive Vibes

Positive Vibes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Santa Cruz, Ca
      '94 XLT
      We have deep fried many a turkey.

We have been using the propane style but the electric looks really good cause you can set the heat. Using propane you need a thermometer. Also make sure if you use a theremometer that it can handle the heat. We had one bust on us due to getting to hot.

11. Fish Man

Fish Man Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Chattanooga TN
      1995 Explorer XLT
      i heart fried turkey. just thought id add that...

12. Broccoli1

Broccoli1 Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles CA
      Explorer '93 xlt
      Lower the bird SLOWLY!!!! someone mentioned "dropping" the bird in and I'm sure they really didn't do that but just to clarify. We use a long pole to hang the bird from and a person on each end- this way you can still hold on to your beer as you lower the sucker and you're far enough away to not worry about the oil splatter.

13. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      Ed
      it can be done, beer in hand with one person, I use my engine hoist for even a 20 lb bird, do not want to get near that boilin oil

14. Broccoli1

Broccoli1 Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles CA
      Explorer '93 xlt
      LMAO. I just relayed the engine hoist to my business partner and he 'bout fell out of his chair. " I want pictures!" was his reply. Nothin' like a bunch of sausages standing around a deep fryer with beers in hand :D

15. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      Ed
      You post a pic of two SOCAL dudes (beer in hand) lowering a turkey into a frier, tied to the middle of a long pole, and I will get out my hoist. read about one dude in Alabama that uses Helium balloons to slowley guide the bird into the pot:)))))

16. Charlie's_93EB

City, State:
      Venice florida
      1993 Eddie Bauer
      thats good.
      i have been burned very bad also with oil on both arms, i plan on useing welding gloves

1) good idea no shorts or sandles
      2) i heard that
      6) good idea
      7) good idea
      10) just sit out? no foil?

thanks every one

17. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      Yes, when I let it sit out, I don't put foil over it.. its only 10 minutes.. and it is still too hot to touch when carving it.. (have to use a fork when carving)...

I did use an engine hoist the first year I fried the turkey ( didn't want to be anywhere near hot oil) but now I can put it in without any issues without the hoist.. I have a large Fryer pot.. (I think it holds over 40 quarts).. With oil and a 16lbs turkey (I don't fry the big ones as often)... I have about 8" from the top of the fryer to the oil.. so I can put it in pretty fast... IF I remember correctly I only had 4-5" from the top of the fryer to the oil when I did a 20lb turkey...

~Mark

18. davesexplorer

davesexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Central PA
      2001 F350 7.3
      mmm fried turkey :drools:

19. Charlie's_93EB

City, State:
      Venice florida
      1993 Eddie Bauer
      ok,ok i just came up with one.

How do i put the bird in? Breast up or feet up, i am going to be using a basket so i can choose, right?

20. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      Bazookas down, feet up, sorta doggie style

21. Charlie's_93EB

City, State:
      Venice florida