Turn eng. off, remove key. Should windows still work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turn eng. off, remove key. Should windows still work?

SVO LOU

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer AWD
Guys,
My wife is currently out of state and our Mounty she's driving didn't start yesterday. My Brother-in-law charged the battery and all is well with the charging system and battery. One thing though, she tells me that when she removes the ignition key the windows still operate. :confused: Does this sound right? I don't remember that happening before and I'm suspecting maybe the ignition switch is out-of-adjustment allowing the switch to stay in the run position and draining the battery. Does this sound feasible?

Thanks.
Lou.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the windows should still operate until you open one of the doors. It is designed that way so you can roll up the window (or down) after you shut the key off.

I like this feature, but my GF doesn't understand it and invariably will open the door before I can get the window where I want it. :confused:

There goes my theory. :p
I don't remember ever trying that before.

Thanks.
Lou.

Dogfriend: I hear you man, I drive the explorer with just me 90% of the time and just turn off the truck and then adjust my windows well sure enough every time the wife is with me she messes up my system.

what will we do with them?

Why not just adjust the window while the truck is running? That just drains battery power, and it also puts lower voltage through the motor....

Originally posted by Crankcase
Why not just adjust the window while the truck is running? That just drains battery power, and it also puts lower voltage through the motor....

Yes, I usually do run the windows while the engine is still running, esp when the GF is in the truck. But it is a nice feature to have because I often forget that one of the windows is down when I want them up or that I want to run the windows down an inch for ventilation.

They will work like that for 2 minutes if no doors are opened.

is it only for certian models and years or what cuz i've never tried it.

Originally posted by bdogg23
is it only for certian models and years or what cuz i've never tried it.

I'm pretty sure that it is 2nd Gen (95 and later) because it is controlled by the GEM (generic electronic module).

windows

My windows work without the key in. You just grab the knob and go around and round and round. :p

David

Haha...gotta love those manual cranks.

But I prefer power now...:p

Re: windows

Originally posted by AspenX
My windows work without the key in. You just grab the knob and go around and round and round. :p

David

Knob??? Please elaborate??? :D

Originally posted by Nick C.
Dogfriend: I hear you man, I drive the explorer with just me 90% of the time and just turn off the truck and then adjust my windows well sure enough every time the wife is with me she messes up my system.

what will we do with them?

Yep, it's all about the system... why can't women get that?!?

You can't live with them and you can't live with them...:D

Re: windows

Originally posted by AspenX

David

They still make manual windows? :D

kidding... that was hilarious David!

Back