1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Turn Signal / Blinker Switch Replacement 97 Sport

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by John Tisdale, December 17, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. John Tisdale

John Tisdale New Member

City, State:
      Ocean Grove, NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 Sport
      The blinker switch in the steering column is arching about half the time when I use the left hand turn signal (but not the right hand signal). The dealer advises it is probably the switch in the column and wants close to $200 to replace it.

Anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Is it easy to dis-assemble and get to, i.e., with some patience, is it the type of repair I can do myself?

jt

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. alphabets13

alphabets13 Well-Known Member

2004 Mountaineer Premier
      this sounds like the multi-function switch. it's basically the turn signal/wipers handle. it's only about $50 or so and very easy to do yourself. thats what i would suggest.

4. config

config Active Member

City, State:
      Layton, UT
      '96 XLT
      I replaced the multifunction switch on my '96 Explorer. It's not difficult at all. Once you start taking it off, you'll see what else needs to come off. I think I had to take the top part of the steering wheel off. Use the wheel tilt to ease taking and putting the new one on. Good luck!