• Register Today It's free!

julie_taron

Reaction score
City, State
Encino, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Hi everyone.:salute:
I am a new member. I have a 1997 XLT which has been chugging along nicely with very little technical complaint. I was wondering, my turn signals, right and left, will flash about 3 times when switched on, then the flashing stops before I make the turn. If I switch them on again the same thing happens. Before I drum up a big bill, do you know what the problem could be? Maybe, between the husband and I, we could fix this ourselves!
Thanks in advance,
Julie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think it would be the rotating cam mechanisum in the column which pivots with the steering wheel and ur signal lever screws into,cam lugs worn so the lewver does't catch and hold..

welcome

If it's fairly consistent, next time your turn on your signal, move the tilt (wheel) up and down to see if it changes things at all.

Welcome Julie!

I have found with problems like this it often turns out to be something really simple like jiggling your keys or like she said moving the steering wheel I would do a series of little things untill you notice change. however there is a switch in the dash area that lets the signal know the wheel is done turning if thats broke the truck has a 3 blink relay

I had several problems with turn signal system not working on a 1995 explorer sport hazard worked ,fuse checked out ok, light bulbs ok, replace flasher turn signal/hazard flasher replay still no turn signal lights , end up replacing turn signal assembly this fixed the problem i had replace the turn signal assembly earlier this year unit had shorted out.

Back