Turn Signal Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turn Signal Issue

Arminta

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello,

I have a 99 Mountaineer with the 5.0, automatic transmission. I am having a problem with my turn signal. When I turn my brinker on, left or right, it will blink for a few seconds and then it quits. Sometimes it will stop blinking and start again all while the switch is still on. The switch on the steering column is still truned on but the lights will not flash on the dash or outside the vehicle. I have already tried a new relay and that did not fix the problem. I suspect that it is the switch on the steering column. Before I go and replace this part is there anything else I should keep in mind or any test I should run?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try adjusting your tilt wheel. There is a “multifunction switch” that controls your signals, high beams, and such. They are a common failure item, but sometimes the harness becomes pulled apart.

I have a new problem. I don't know if it is related. But now the ABS light is on and the check engine light. Also the speedometer is not working. I had the coach ran and it is coming up as P0500. Indicating vehicle speed sensor A. There are two different sensors. One for the transmission and one for the differential. There are two different ones for the transmission, one is for a 4-speed transmission, and the other is for a 5 speed transmission. However, I do not know which transmission my vehicle has. I was told the VIN number will tell me. Other than that I would have to count the boats on the transmission pan. I can not get to this problem today, but i was wondering how to use the VIN number to find out what transmission I have without contacting the dealership. Is there any way to narrow down which sensor I need, the one for the differential or the transmission?

You have a 4 speed 4r70w, as all 5.0s do. A speed sensor not working doesn’t make much sense as to why the speedo isn’t working. You have an ABS sensor on each front wheel and either one on the transfer case( or transmission tailshaft for 2wd versions) OR one on the rear diff. Any one of the three being functional should give you a vehicle speed signal.

Well, I just realized my odometer and tripometer are not working also. I did a little more research and found someone had said that if the odometer isn't working then it is the speed sensor on the transmission. However, my RPM gauge is working. Any thoughts? Also, if this were a groud issue, where would you say I start?

I think the odometer and speedo are driven by the same motor and gear set.

Hello,

I have a 99 Mountaineer with the 5.0, automatic transmission. I am having a problem with my turn signal. When I turn my brinker on, left or right, it will blink for a few seconds and then it quits. Sometimes it will stop blinking and start again all while the switch is still on. The switch on the steering column is still truned on but the lights will not flash on the dash or outside the vehicle. I have already tried a new relay and that did not fix the problem. I suspect that it is the switch on the steering column. Before I go and replace this part is there anything else I should keep in mind or any test I should run?
Not sure it's your issue, but there is a known problem with one of the connectors to the MFS (multifunction switch) - the one that includes the turn signal wires. It's an old story, common to other Ford trucks from that era as well. Over time some of the pins of this connector pull out of the plastic shell and lose contact. The cure is cutting off and replacing this connector. The connector (with pre-installed wires) is available, but due to the tight quarters in there, soldering is a challenge. I pulled out the steering wheel to gain more room to work.

Your odometer / tripometer is most likely caused by its independent motor / gearing...(separate issue- hence probably broke for a while but noticed it looking into speedometer issue).. the cheap plastic gear gets gummed up and brittle over the years and gives out....known issue.
See my last post here for pointers etc....(**Odometer gear package CC05 is mislabeled 'speedometer/odometer gear'- my speedometer worked FINE while my odometer stopped working due to this broken gear - maybe on other Fords this is interchangable with speedometer gear- hence double naming) You can get this gear for around $5 ebay.
HELP! Started disassebling instrument panel and shift indicator disconnected
Odometer Worm Gear Replacement

**Recommend replacing display bulbs while having instrument cluster out...

Your odometer / tripometer is most likely caused by its independent motor / gearing...(separate issue- hence probably broke for a while but noticed it looking into speedometer issue).. the cheap plastic gear gets gummed up and brittle over the years and gives out....known issue.
See my last post here for pointers etc....(**Odometer gear package CC05 is mislabeled 'speedometer/odometer gear'- my speedometer worked FINE while my odometer stopped working due to this broken gear - maybe on other Fords this is interchangable with speedometer gear- hence double naming) You can get this gear for around $5 ebay.
HELP! Started disassebling instrument panel and shift indicator disconnected
Odometer Worm Gear Replacement

**Recommend replacing display bulbs while having instrument cluster out...

That would explain why the speedometer may not be working but it does not explain why the ABS light is on. Would that trip a P0500 code? I don't see how this can trigger a code and the ABS lightl.

I have replaced the speed sensor on the transmission (of which does not have a cable going to the speedometer) and the sensor on the differential. My speedometer is still not working, I still have an ABS light, and my cruise control does not work either. I am suspecting it is not working due to the system not knowing what the speed is. Does the sensor go to a relay or fuse before the speedometer? If so, where is the fuse or relay located? Is there anything else I can look at? If it's a problem in the wiring I have to somehow check the connection between the plug and the speedometer. I really need to get this problem fixed ASAP so I would appreciate any info you may have.

I will try to pull the clustser out tomorrow and check the odometer gear. If that is bad I'll order one.
I have replaced the speed sensor on the transmission (of which does not have a cable going to the speedometer) and the sensor on the differential. My speedometer is still not working, I still have an ABS light, and my cruise control does not work either. I am suspecting it is not working due to the system not knowing what the speed is. Does the sensor go to a relay or fuse before the speedometer? If so, where is the fuse or relay located? Is there anything else I can look at? If it's a problem in the wiring I have to somehow check the connection between the plug and the speedometer. I really need to get this problem fixed ASAP so I would appreciate any info you may have.

I found the problem with the speedometer. I was looking at the fuses and found that the #14 fuse slot was empty but it had the connections for a fuse. I looked it up and found that it was for '4WABS Main Relay, 4WABS Control Module'. I was confused as to why there wasn't a fuse in that slot. But while looking it up I saw someone mention that it is not always used. However, today after coming home from work I found a 10a fuse in my driveway, crushed. The day before the speedometer problem I was checking the fuses that may have been for the blinker before trying to find which relay went to the blinker. But I never pulled out the #14 fuse while doing this. It must have blown out of the fuse box when I was searching for what relay went to the blinker because I had the fuse box cover off, the door open, and the battery was still hooked up. So, I put in a new 10a fuse and now the ABS light is off and the speedometer, odometer, tripometer and cruise control are all working.

Also, I have a new switch for the turn signals coming in tomorrow. I hope that fixes the blinker issue.

I found the problem with the speedometer. I was looking at the fuses and found that the #14 fuse slot was empty but it had the connections for a fuse. I looked it up and found that it was for '4WABS Main Relay, 4WABS Control Module'. I was confused as to why there wasn't a fuse in that slot. But while looking it up I saw someone mention that it is not always used. However, today after coming home from work I found a 10a fuse in my driveway, crushed. The day before the speedometer problem I was checking the fuses that may have been for the blinker before trying to find which relay went to the blinker. But I never pulled out the #14 fuse while doing this. It must have blown out of the fuse box when I was searching for what relay went to the blinker because I had the fuse box cover off, the door open, and the battery was still hooked up. So, I put in a new 10a fuse and now the ABS light is off and the speedometer, odometer, tripometer and cruise control are all working.

Also, I have a new switch for the turn signals coming in tomorrow. I hope that fixes the blinker issue.

Did it fix the turn signal problem?

Blinker relay under the dash was my problem. $8

Back