turn signals, power windows, and 4x4/OD lights won't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

turn signals, power windows, and 4x4/OD lights won't work

metal31881

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
This is something that I cannot figure out. Yesterday, out of the blue, the turn signals stopped working in my 1998 Explorer. At the same time, the power windows, including my sun roof, stopped working too. And to top it off, the 4x4 and O/D lights blink occasionally on the dash board.

The headlights work. The break lights work. The hazard lights do not work. I have checked all of the mini-fuses and none of them are blown.

Does anyone know what could have triggered this problem?

I appreciate any help or guidance that you can give me.

Thanks.

check your assembly relay look under the dash above the gas pedal should be a black box put the cap off it look for the biggest relay in there and switch it out search on this forum a guy has the part number posted, advance auto parts carry's it cost is about 14 bucks after tax, just had to change mine, think its called accessory power relay

check your assembly relay look under the dash above the gas pedal should be a black box put the cap off it look for the biggest relay in there and switch it out search on this forum a guy has the part number posted, advance auto parts carry's it cost is about 14 bucks after tax, just had to change mine, think its called accessory power relay

i think you're referring to the GEM (General Electrical Module). it controls all kinds of things. i don't think you can tell much by looking at it.

it could be the gem module but there is a relay i had to change in mine never checked the turn signals but my 4x4 lights would flash and my windows and sunroof would not work at all, changed that relay and everything is back to normal now. I got lucky and mine was the cheap easy fix lol.

Back