Two more questions.. (Truck refused to start and some more about Head/tail-lights) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two more questions.. (Truck refused to start and some more about Head/tail-lights)

Prince_Polaris

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
So, yesterday when I ran off to college, my car refused to start at first. I would turn the key, it would crank, but it wouldn't actually fire up. I tried a few times, then tried while holding down the gas pedal, and it started, but I don't know if it was because I was holding the pedal or because it had tried long enough, and actually got through. So, is this just nothing to worry about or if it keeps happening again do I need to get worried? (At school after my class, it started up just fine so I could come home)

Now, despite how I likely won't be able to afford them for a period of months, I'm pretty sure I have figured out which headlights and taillights I wanna stick on the car. So, I've come here to ask what you guys think.

First off, these headlights look nice, and since I don't trust the HID kids (they have waaay too many lights to burn out) then I think I'd go with these. Point being, since they have no actual built-in lights, if one goes out then all I have to do is replace it! So, do they look okay?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038AW6NI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3CM4NUYDVGV5D

Now the other one is my Tail-lights, Not only do I not exactly like the appearance of them, but one was broken when I got it and the other one I've managed to break on my own. (Turns out if they're a little loose, they can shift inwards and get a big chip taken out of them when you shut the back door) Anyway, these ones look pretty okay, do they look worth getting too?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063MII9O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Both of these have a black version and then a chrome version, and I honestly can't decide which I like more, the black version would really stand out and look cool, but it looks like the chrome version would make the lights a lot more visible.

I mean, I guess this is kind of nit-picky, but I figured I might as well ask for some opinions since, well, why not? Oh, and if someday I do get my hands on those, I'll make sure to get pictures in case anyone else is thinking of it!

(And as a bonus, here's another set of Taillights I've found, however amazon is telling me that they're not compatible with a 98 explorer even though they seem like it https://www.amazon.com/211084-Explorer-Black-Light-Assembly/dp/B0038AW6IS )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you have an IAC issue with starting. Yon can try cleaning it for now with throttle body cleaner.

I like those headlights, but some of the bad reviews make me think twice. I want them too. They have similar ones on ebay for less money (around 80).

I think you have an IAC issue with starting. Yon can try cleaning it for now with throttle body cleaner.

I like those headlights, but some of the bad reviews make me think twice. I want them too. They have similar ones on ebay for less money (around 80).

Well, my plan was when I buy the lights, I find something like Silicone to seal them up, and of course be gentle putting them in!

And abut the IAC... is there a guide on this? I gotta admit, simple stuff like fixing wipers and lights is within my expertise, but the engine is still way out of that circle sadly...

They are not really designed to be cleaned but you should use only throttle body cleaner (no carb, maf, or electrical cleaner). There is a special product for this purpose. you can use the rest of the can to clean the throttle body plate.

They are not really designed to be cleaned but you should use only throttle body cleaner (no carb, maf, or electrical cleaner). There is a special product for this purpose. you can use the rest of the can to clean the throttle body plate.

All right, this is going on the list.. I have no job at the moment which means no money, so once I do have money then there's quite a few fixes I'll be making!

When you turn the key you should hear the fuel pump prime if you don't find the relay and wiggle it with the key in the on position until you hear the pump kick on........mine does this from time to time just a thought

Back