two rear studs broke, please advise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

two rear studs broke, please advise

jetjock15

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
got new tires put on by my local discount tire today. 2004 explorer. they handed me two broke off studs (one per rear wheel). To fix this how do i replace the stud? are they part of rotors? axle or just press in/out? any advise on what to order and how to fix. Thanks so much as always.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had one i had to get replace and mine just pressed in and out. Thats all the more i know about it. As far as what needed to be removed to accomplish this i dont know for sure.

i got my stud at napa. i think it was around $5. Just take your broken one in to get the right size

>>>>>>>>
got new tires put on by my local discount tire today. 2004 explorer. they handed me two broke off studs (one per rear wheel). To fix this how do i replace the stud? are they part of rotors? axle or just press in/out? any advise on what to order and how to fix. Thanks so much as always.

Rob
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did the tire store's mechanic break off the wheel studs installing your new tires by over tightening the lug nuts? If so, make them replace them. Why should you pay for it? If your wheel studs were broken off prior to you going there for new tires, they would not be there on the vehicle for the tire store employee to hand to you. Sounds to me they broke them off during the new tire install. It has been my experience having been driving for over 34 years and buying numerous sets of tires over that time, that these tire store mechanics or young kids, "always" over tighten the lug nuts with their high torque air impact guns. They don't torque them to specs 100Ft lbs, just crank them down with the air guns that are set for too much torque. The torque on some of those air guns is around 600ft lbs. I usually have to use a big breaker bar to bust loose the lug nuts after I have new tires installed. It also does no good to tell them not to over tighten the lug nuts, they still do.

Not sure about the removal work on the broken wheel studs, but they'll be even harder to remove already broken off. Nothing to press or pound against. The wheel studs are not part of the rotors, but they stick through the stud holes in the rotors. They press into the wheel stud hub behind the rotors. They do press out or pound(3lb Hammer) out if intact and you may be able to press the new ones back in with an open ended (no covered cap) lug nut where you can "seat" the new wheel stud down just by torquing down on the lug nut pulling the new stud inward and seated into place. Takes a little arm strength this way. Also, not sure if you have the room to pound them out this way on the Ex's with the wheel stud-hub still attached to the vehicle. May have to remove it, I'm not sure. Maybe someone who has done this on their Ex before can chime in and let you know.

thanks so much for the advice guys... yes, i do think it was their fault, no i didnt have the time or gumption to argue with them. I figured if they broke the studs, they probably not the ones I want working on my car. I am a bit of a mechanic and would rather do myself.... Thanks for all the advice.

got it done, was not fun. had to remove brake disk then the emergency brake shoes, then the emergency brake backing plate.. took about 3 hours. Studs from autozone, $2.00 per...

>>>>>>>>>>
got it done, was not fun. had to remove brake disk then the emergency brake shoes, then the emergency brake backing plate.. took about 3 hours. Studs from autozone, $2.00 per...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Glad you got the new wheel studs in. BTW, what tools did you use to remove the broken off wheel studs and what did you use to "seat" the new wheel studs in place?

the old studs just "popped" right out after i let them soak in the pb buster for awhile. one hit with the hammer. I seated the new studs as you recommended, used open lug nut, had to put a washer on first to allow the "mount" (wider base) of the stud to pull through without hitting the nut. Worked real nice. The biggest pain was taking the emergency brake assemblies apart in order to get enough clearance to thread the new studs in from the back.

Hope you did the e-brake shoes while you were in there.

the old studs just "popped" right out after i let them soak in the pb buster for awhile. one hit with the hammer. I seated the new studs as you recommended, used open lug nut, had to put a washer on first to allow the "mount" (wider base) of the stud to pull through without hitting the nut. Worked real nice. The biggest pain was taking the emergency brake assemblies apart in order to get enough clearance to thread the new studs in from the back.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The broken studs must have not have broken off flush with the stud hub, so you had something to hit with a hammer. That was good. I'm glad to hear using the open lug nut worked in seating the new studs. I forgot to tell you to use the "flat side" of the lug nut for seating the new studs, but a washer works the same. I haven't had to replace a wheel stud in over 20 years or so, but it's good to know the old lug nut trick still works today. I agree, those drum or E- brakes are a PITA. Hope you used anti-seize lube on the star wheel bolt threads, they usually rust in place over time and the wheel won't turn when an adjustment is needed.

Back