U-Joint Life? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U-Joint Life?

I went throught two trans mounts because of a bad motor mount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok could the bad motor mount have broken the Trans mount, form the excess movement?

yes! if you don' fix it all then they ware each other out.;)

but what you saying?:p:

I LOVE a steel bolt into threaded aluminum = SUCKS

I stripped mine out a long time ago. I ended up running a smaller diameter bolt through it with a nut on the other end:confused:

only problem with that Rick is not all of the Ford tailhousings allow you to get a nut on the other end coughA4LDcough unless you are really crafty which is a PITA with the trans in the truck......

Ok so I went down and played with the truck. Is definitely not in the rear axle:thumbsup: Nothing's leaking, nor loose and no play at all back there. It looks like it's one of two places. 1. slip yoke on the driveshaft. and 2. more likly it looks like is at the T-case. There is a good 1/8" play there. Not much but feels like the clunk. So I guess I'll see if that nut is loose first.

Then my question is t-case rebuild? When I bought it I just through it in, and filled it with fluid. I have no idea how many miles are on it. Probally more then my truck (147k) :rolleyes: I also know at highway speeds I have this weird gurgling noise that is random, and I can stop the noise just by giving it gas or letting off. I'm thinking that is the bearings in the t-case. I never heard it until I removed the carpet for the cage. Now if I do a t-case rebuild, is there anything I need to know? and do I replace the chain as well, just to be on the safe side?

by the way...Thanks for your help so far guys;)

Nothing to know about the t-case assuming its a manual. The electric t-cases are a little tricky cauz more often than not, people snap the shift rail pin.

I also know at highway speeds I have this weird gurgling noise that is random, and I can stop the noise just by giving it gas or letting off. I'm thinking that is the bearings in the t-case.
If the noise appears somewhere between power and coast then it is a bearing somewhere. (Those are the symptoms I had for both pinion bearing and axle bearing problems) And if you can move the output flange/yoke of the t-case I would definitely start there. Make sure the flange/yoke nut is tight.

Hmm, I've been reading this thread, and the above sounds somewhat like what I've got going on. It only "klunks" when I pick my foot up off the gas from accelerating, and as it shifts, KLUNK. It started after a trip to the mountains, with a SMALL trailer load, and some brutal climbs for my old truck. I originally thought it was the tranny, but it shifts like new when driving, and accelerating. I've been under it several times yanking on stuff, and I can't find anything loose.

Back