Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Sixonemale, July 28, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2015 Explorer XLT
    Since having the first part of the TSB done, I've found that I get it at any time that I'm running above 3k rpm. I'm fairly certain the TSB actually made the problem worse.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
    MN
    2014 Explorer Sport

You know, I’ve heard of people “Seafoaming” their engines where they use Seafoam in the intake to help remove carbon buildup(Google it). This, in turn, produces a lot of white smoke out the exhaust on some vehicles. Maybe that’s a way to test. Get it to smoke and see if it can be identified where it’s coming into the cabin. Long shot, but could be a relatively simple test for someone to try.

True. These days, they are pretty reactive.

Guess it would depend on outside temperature as well. It may go into closed loop quickly, but the cats might take longer to warm up and be fully operational. I guess the test could be repeated after driving around for a while to see if the CO concentration changes.

4. 1995E

1995E Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    95 + 11 Ex both XLT
    I'm pretty sure it's due to the aerodynamics of the car causing a swirl effect and low pressure area behind the liftgate, trapping exhaust fumes back there and allowing it to seep into the cabin. I'm pretty sour about the fact that Ford not acknowledging it's an actual safety issue.

• Like Like x 2
  5. dragonexplorer12

dragonexplorer12 Active Member

2013 Ford Explorer LTD
    I have a 2013 MY and my dealer in the Philippines has done the initial TSB. That TSB did not include the muffler assembly.

Would be nice to have a copy of that TSB 17-0044.

Thanks!

6. Dfred

Dfred Active Member

City, State:
    Lexington, Ky
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    It does not replace the entire muffler assembly, just a part of it, and only in certain circumstances. Since the copy I have is a printout the dealer gave me, I have no way to post it.....

7. dragonexplorer12

dragonexplorer12 Active Member

2013 Ford Explorer LTD
    Thanks for the reply. Im trying to gather all these TSBs to file a formal complaint here in the Philippines.

8. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
    I'm curious, does it replace the catalytic converter or does it just replace components or gaskets associated with potential leaks? I believe untreated carbon monoxide is the culprit associated with police officers getting ill, so now I'm wondering if they have discovered that some of the catalytic converters are subpar or have found leaks in the system before the catalytic converter.

9. Dfred

Dfred Active Member

City, State:
    Lexington, Ky
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    They are going to replace the chrome muffler tips with longer ones that point down. Reading the TSB.... most of the rear of the vehicle will be taken apart and sealed prior to a cabin pressure test. Including the lift gate and spoiler. Two day job or more for sure.

10. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
    Clearly that states for at least civilian owned Explorers that this is aerodynamic vacuum issue. The next question is when driving at WOT is that giving the catalytic converter enough time to treat exhaust, specifically carbon monoxide? Depending on what is found in the current U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration probe/investigation maybe even a Recall could surface.

It will also be interesting if a TSB or Recall comes out for any other part of the exhaust system before treatment of the catalytic converter such as the exhaust manifold, etc.

Last edited: August 5, 2017
  11. Zodiac

Zodiac Active Member

2017 Ford Explorer Sport
    Typically, if you are having warranty work done where the vehicle needs to be out of service for a more than a day do they provide a rental car (if you have an ESP?) or is it dealer dependent.

12. Tom Howard

Tom Howard New Member

City, State:
    Dallas TX
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    From my experience, Ford does not provide loaner cars. I also own a Lexus, and they always give a loaner no matter what. It used to be that the Lexus cost way more than a Ford, and part of the higher cost is loaner cars. But my 2016 Explorer Platinum is in the same price range as a Lexus GX. Nowhere near the same dealer service, however.

13. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
    My experience exactly. With slight exaggeration, you could drop off a Lexus to get wiper blade replaced and you'll receive a loaner car of the latest model year with unlimited mileage and exceptional customer service.

Last edited: August 5, 2017
  14. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    As others have stated, the dealer is under no obligation to supply a loaner. If they do, it is at their expense. It is stated in the Warranty Guide that Ford is not responsible for "the cost of rental vehicles".

Peter

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Dfred

Dfred Active Member

City, State:
    Lexington, Ky
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    If you get the extended warranty you can also add on a rental car..... but that's the only way......

16. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    '18 Toyota Prius Prime
    I think the point being made is that Ford should offer this benefit to their customers, just as other manufacturers have.

Once again, Ford is behind the eight ball.

17. crrobbins

crrobbins Member

City, State:
    Stanford, Ky
    2016 Explorer XLT
    We owned a 1999 Windstar that was involved in a large recall because of rear "axle" corrosion that caused several axle breaks. We were provided a rental car for nearly 3 months at Ford's expense. Ford finally made a buy back offer for our Windstar, because of corrosion of front end components. The rental car was part of the recall agreement. The cost to Ford for our part was more than 3 times the NADA value of van. Point is, we did get a rental car at that time. I think there were about 300,000-400,000 vehicles involved. It could be a very large recall this time, too.

crrobbins

18. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    2015 Explorer XLT
    With the exception of the roof rack, there's no difference between the Explorer and the PIU aerodynamically.

The replacing the exhaust tips only applies to non-Ecoboost, and it doesn't seem to solve the issue anyway.

It is actually the mufflers, according to the TSB.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2617/exhaust-odor-in-vehicle-2011-2015-ford-explorer/3

"Inform the customer of the redesigned exhaust tips and that appearance will remain the same but the exhaust will exit the tip from bottom. Upon acceptance, replace the muffler assembly with the updated part containing the down turned exhaust tips. (Figures 7-8)"

Last edited: August 6, 2017
  19. Earl Taylor

Earl Taylor New Member

City, State:
    Columbia, KY
    2017 Limited
    I saw an ABC report last night with a video, Austin TX police had 80 (I think) explorers with cracks in the exhaust pipes. It showed the cracks. Some of the explorers were administrative and hadn't been modified. They pulled all off the streets.

• Like Like x 1
  20. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    '18 Toyota Prius Prime
    Can you link that piece? I'd love to see it.

21. Explorer XLT 17

Explorer XLT 17 Member

City, State:
    Plant City, Florida
    2017 Explorer XLT