• Register Today It's free!

Uggggh Timing Chain Tensioners

FireZingr

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer Explorer
OK so I have pretty much determined that it is my timing chain causing my problems here is my dilemma.......

Mine didn't do the whole rattling at startup deal it just BAM started one morning while warming the truck up in single digit temps.

Mine is BACKWARDS from everyone else's
It is nice and quiet at cold start up but then starts getting progressively worse as the enigine warms up vs others having the noise at cold start up then going away when the truck warms up.

I am almost 100% sure it is the front chain as all the noise is coming from right in the front dead center.
What would be the chances that just a new tensioner would remedy this without going "into" the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well dropped the oil pan and sure enough there is the plastic pieces cleaned them out cleaned the oil pan up (I must say with just shy of 200,000 miles I figured it would be pretty gunked up but all it took was a quick wipe with a paper towel). My dad said it looked like it came from a vehicle with 20,000 miles not 200,000 miles LOL.
Anyway my new dilemma is this:
The new tensioners and guides are going to take 7 days to come in and I absolutely HAVE to drive this vehicle to work this week.
Has anyone heard of a chain breaking from running without the guides in?
It has quieted down considerably now that I have cleaned the oil pickup of broken plastic and the oil pressure is now back up and it seems the misfiring has stopped now that the oil pressure is back to normal. I am assuming this is because the oil assisted tensioners now have better pressure to tighten the chain????

timing chain tool set

Do you have access to the timing chain tool set? It costs about $160 new and you can't time the camshafts without it. Here's a photo of the OTC 6488 set.
OTC 6488.jpg

I've put more than 1,000 miles on my vehicle with noisy chains. I've made numerous WOT performance runs with engine speeds approaching 6000 rpm. From what I've read on the forum, the chains usually don't break but they can slip from the lack of proper tension. Avoid rapid engine deceleration because that is when the timing chain is most likely to slip.

From the pieces you found you know that parts of your guides are missing. Have you eliminated other possible sources of the noise you're hearing? Try disconnecting the serpentine belt and run the engine for a few seconds to eliminate water pump, power steering pump, A/C clutch, idler and tensioner bearings as the noise source.

The only part I have found is this one...
It was broken into about 5 or 6 pieces and also found the thin metal "Spring" piece all the in the oil pan. So I suppose this is the only piece that has broken.
4282453801_45506c9cdb_o.jpg

front upper

There could be more pieces that didn't get to the lower oil pan. The photo below from another thread shows the absence of the upper front chain tensioner plastic part and guide.
FrontUpper.jpg

The photo below shows the tensioner guide in place.
TensionerUpper.jpg

In order to remove the front jackshaft to camshaft chain the lower crankshaft to jackshaft chain must be removed first.

I suspect that my lower crankshaft to jackshaft tensioner is in bad shape. It probably looks like the one in the photo below.
LowerChain.jpg

Before I pull the front apart I plan to remove the valve covers and check for damage. I don't want to pull the front apart more than once.

What part numbers did you order?

Back