Uh Oh! Back up Camera shows bumper!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Uh Oh! Back up Camera shows bumper!!

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
Hey guys, I banged the back door where the backup camera is, body shop had to order new door and strip with camera in it

Now, the camera points down enough so that the bottom inch of the screen is showing the bumper and the objects are distorted because it is pointing down more than it should be.

But, they have put in BOTH The new camera/strip (the camera comes in the molding) and the old one and they BOTH point in the wrong direction, so my opinion is the DOOR is different enough so that when they put in the part that has the camera, it points down and eighteenth of an inch more than it did with the old door...

Add to that the OLD Camera is showing the parking aid lines and the new one isnt, this is ODD since I wasnt aware they existed in the first place, those parking aid lines are new to me and the car is 2 yrs old, I have had it the whole time.

Anybody have any ideas?

wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eLnUQzlaUo

this is also showing that strip at the bottom, why didnt mine show that for 2 yrs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has always shown part of the bumper.
eb2f962b-301f-4845-a98a-70d3a8a71ed8_zpsfc883d50.jpg

You can change settings for the lines I think.. make them go away or appear.

Rear View Camera
This menu allows you to access settings for your rear view camera.
Press the Settings icon > Vehicle > Rear View Camera
then select from the following settings:
• Rear Camera Delay
• Visual Park Aid Alert
• Guidelines.

Mine looks like Bryce's.

The one in the video looks like ours too.

Not sure why the OPs didn't... different camera or a bad original install.

mine never showed that strip at the bottom, and now that it is doing it sure seems the objects are distorted more than they were...are the lines new? or were those always there

yup ours shows the edge of the bumper too...

LEDs-21.jpg

I notice mine (2011) now shows the bumper after the dealer did the install of the latest MySync update last week......

Never saw it before then.

I notice mine (2011) now shows the bumper after the dealer did the install of the latest MySync update last week......

Never saw it before then.

notice anything else with that update?

It should show the bumper so folks with trailer hitches can see the hitch for alignment when attaching trailers.

notice anything else with that update?

Yeah, the day after the update I got the "Black Screen of Death"..... no control over heat/fan, radio, navigation, etc. Before that I noticed the Sirius Travel Link worked almost instantly. The clock & temp were back on the top of the main screen.

The previous night temps dropped into the 30's and my wife set the heater to about 75 degrees. Next day was in the mid 70's and I rode around with the heat blasting and windows open for my 1 hour 15 minute ride to work.....

Called the dealer and got the disconnect battery talk. Also told if it does this once ever couple of weeks that it's "normal behavior"..... :eek:

Finally came back with the "Performing Required System Maintenance" screen a day later. Appears to be acting as it should for now.

Not sure of which update I got or how long it's been out, I was just told there was a recall for it. I honestly haven't had much time to play with it since it was installed.

Have you tried adjusting the zoom settings?

I also get a view of the bumper. Always have.

Hey guys, I banged the back door where the backup camera is, body shop had to order new door and strip with camera in it

Now, the camera points down enough so that the bottom inch of the screen is showing the bumper and the objects are distorted because it is pointing down more than it should be.

But, they have put in BOTH The new camera/strip (the camera comes in the molding) and the old one and they BOTH point in the wrong direction, so my opinion is the DOOR is different enough so that when they put in the part that has the camera, it points down and eighteenth of an inch more than it did with the old door...

Add to that the OLD Camera is showing the parking aid lines and the new one isnt, this is ODD since I wasnt aware they existed in the first place, those parking aid lines are new to me and the car is 2 yrs old, I have had it the whole time.

Anybody have any ideas?

wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eLnUQzlaUo

this is also showing that strip at the bottom, why didnt mine show that for 2 yrs?
Like the others, mine has always shown the edge of the bumper. It is supposed to so that it helps you judge where you are in relation to fixed objects on the ground or behind you. The guidelines are also supposed to be there. If you have Active Park Assist you will also have the moving guidelines. Perhaps you never had that guideline setting turned on in the options.

I noticed that the MFT in the video doesn't show the 'Settings' icon at the bottom of the screen next to the 'Home' icon.

Peter

Yes the bumper is in my bkup cam, and is the area of zoom, when zooming in the camera. Helps you know how close you really are.
I roughly measured the last 2 grid line areas once, the red/yellow zone is approx 3' away from whatever is behind your bumper.

That looks normal to me. As long as the camera isn't slanted. I see my bumper all the time and it helps me to really back up so close to my van in the driveway since I need extra space. Parking an inch apart to the car behind you when reversing has never been easier. I think if it didn't show the bumper, it'd be a PITA to get yourself really close in in a parking space.

Back