Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Uh-oh..I broke my 95..

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Texan01, February 10, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
    Dallas, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1995 Explorer XLT
    So I have a 323,000 mile 1995 XLT with the pushrod 4.0 and automatic. Last night I was getting on the highway and working it rather hard, got it to 70 and wound up the engine to 4,000 rpm (nothing new for this mill) it cruised along for a bit then lost all engine power.

Coasted off the highway and tried to restart it, it just sounds like there is no compression or the plugs are all out of it, no rods sticking through the block, and it builds great pressure for a factory bottom-end engine with 300k+ miles on it, the belt spins, and no weird noises are coming from it.

i'm thinking that it jumped time or the bolt on the cam sprocket backed out enough to have it slip off the dowel pin. Is the pushrod 4.0 an interference engine? I've read that the SOHC is, but nothing conclusive on the OHV

And thanks for the ribbing on the FB site.. I needed that! 5.0 swap would be more fun with a newer X than my 95.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. my98nnj

my98nnj Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boonton, New Jersey
    1998 XLT
    Does sound like the chain broke.

4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    i believe both 4.0L's are interference engines.

5. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
    Dallas, TX
    1995 Explorer XLT
    Well a quick diag in the garage, since I haven't had a chance to really do anything save shove it into the garage and not look at it. It tried to start but failed, and I hear chuffs through the intake or exhaust like its trying to fire up. I think its jumped enough teeth that its no longer in sync, must have broken the guides, won't know till I tear into it.

I hope its not an interference design, as its got recently milled heads on it.

6. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
    Dallas, TX
    1995 Explorer XLT
    Well the good news... it didn't exactly jump time. the bad news is I have to find a new key for the crankshaft and toss a new timing set on it. as the crank sprocket is cracked and missing a tooth.

7. Turdle

Turdle This is my custom user title Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
  8. delexploder

delexploder Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Greenwood De.
    97 ford explorer sport
    Had a first Gen about 12 years ago did the same thing, it ended up being the worn out valve train, bent pushrod made a lifter cock in the bore and jam the cam,

9. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
    Dallas, TX
    1995 Explorer XLT
    Put it all back together with a new chain set, tensioner, cleaned the oil pressure sender port out and it started up and runs nice and quiet. No more clatter.