1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Uncleo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Uncleo, July 18, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Uncleo

Uncleo New Member

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Lmited
    Explorer Tranny Problem after towing boat

Greetings [/B][/B]all...I've been following these posts as a new member for awhile and found answers to all my questions without having to post a new thread...until now. I have a 93 Explorer Limited V6 auto I bought almost 10 years ago used and it has served me well with a few problems over the years, but all fixable. Now I have purchased a boat with dual axel trailer and have had first majot tranny problem. It pulled the trailer ok, but when I pulled the boat out last weekend...a 21ft Proline 210 WA Cuddy...I got half way up a steep hill from the ramp and encountered another car and had to stop and then start again...tranny started slipping and overheated and started leaking major fluid. I got it to the house, but now it had to be refilled with fluid and slips and clunks into gear. Mechanic says he may be able to service, but may need replacement $about $3,000 ? I trust the mechanic who has worked on all my cars, but wonder if it is worth fixing/replacing or call it quits and get another towing vehicle? Any advice? Thanks

Last edited: July 18, 2011
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  4. Uncleo

Uncleo New Member

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    1993 Lmited
    Thanks, will try that first, but have bad feeling this is gonna be a rebuild tranny...hate to sink more into it than the truck is worth...we'll see. Thanks

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  6. Uncleo

Uncleo New Member

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    1993 Lmited
    Decision time for old Explorer???

Sorry to be slow responding, but busy yesterday and worried about if truck would make it back down to ramp to launch boat after I did PMS, zincs, lower unit hydrofoil and new bottom paint?...fortunately it did! Down hill doest not seem to be a big issue. Launched ok and pulled trailer back up to house ok...but still worried. Truck is 93 Explorer V6 with over 100M ...mabe about 150? Not sure about odometer? Just put new tires, bearings, exhaust and AC into it thinking it would last for short trips and hauling boat a few mi? Maybe I was kidding myself? :( Still, it did not loose any fluid yesterday...seemed to shift ok...but did seem to have some smell like antifreeze leaking, but could not find any leaking? Rebuilt tranny runs about 2500-3000 around here...good used SUV or Truck for towing 7500+ may be $10,000-15,000...decision time!:rolleyes:

We Support Our Troops!