steveatthebeach

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Callsign
K4IQX
Does anyone have a drawing/diagram of the layout of the vents under the dashboard of a 2002 Explorer? No Automatic Climate control, just the basic stuff. I'm trying to figure out what I can and cannot do without tearing half of the dashboard and console out.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dash has to come out.

Go to www.fordparts.com you can get pretty good “pictures” there.

What issue(s) are you trying to resolve?

What issue(s) are you trying to resolve?

When I replaced the blend door actuator, I neglected to close the blend door (I somehow manged to push it open after reaching through the glove box opening during the winter) and now it blows hot air constantly, even if the system is in the off position. Not much fun when it's 80+ degree outside and you're rolling down the interstate with all of the windows open. So now, I'm sure I'll need to remove the actuator so I can close the door without tearing up the gears on the actuator. I'm not looking forward to tearing the console and part of the dash apart, but if that's what I've got to do, then so be it.

I’m pretty sure the blend door is only accessible via the drivers side. From the glove box, you can reach the floor/vent/defrost door and the fresh/recirc doors.

I’m pretty sure the blend door is only accessible via the drivers side. From the glove box, you can reach the floor/vent/defrost door and the fresh/recirc doors.

I read on here somewhere that it is possible to reach in and flip it open but you're doing it blindly. Either way I'm not looking forward to that job again, I'm not Gumby but I'm going to have to play one to fix that again.

I read on here somewhere that it is possible to reach in and flip it open but you're doing it blindly. Either way I'm not looking forward to that job again, I'm not Gumby but I'm going to have to play one to fix that again.
I was wrong about the location of where I read this, it was here,

Back