Scotsman01

Reaction score
City, State
Gold Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL Export
Hi All
Australia calling

I am slowly pulling my 1997 explorer apart. I noticed in another thread that someone had placed a second battery in the passenger wheel well and had a look to see what size it would take.

Imagine my surprise when I found something that I do not know what it is or its function. There seems to be a main cable coming from it to the rear light unit.
I am including some photos which I hope will help to determine what it is and it's function.
1. Item in question 2. Outside Wheel Well 3. Main Cable

Attachments

• Unknown Car Item 007.jpg
    Unknown Car Item 007.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Entry to Wheel Well.jpg
    Entry to Wheel Well.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 207
  • Cabling from item to Rear Lights.jpg
    Cabling from item to Rear Lights.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 219

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Located in the right rear cargo area behind passengers seat correct?

Should be the amplifier for the stereo system.

The one for my 98 was located there.

I believe thats the relay controller for the transfer case. One way to find out is to turn the key to the run position, and have someone cycle the tranny in and out of 4WD. You'll hear a "click" from that box..

It's most likely the factory amplifier for the radio. 91-97 had an amp there, 98-2001 didn't, unless they had a subwoofer.

You can move that amplifier further down if you can get a good solid mounting point for it, it's not too large.

It's most likely the factory amplifier for the radio. 91-97 had an amp there, 98-2001 didn't, unless they had a subwoofer.

You can move that amplifier further down if you can get a good solid mounting point for it, it's not too large.

I have a 98 XLT and that's where the amp was.

When I installed new sound system I deleted it and patched back into the old harness.

Only the really early 98's had it. It's very very rare for them to have it. I've only heard of two early 98s like that so far.

Gotcha.

Came stock like that with the Premium sound system.

VIN Build is 9\97 and I did it as a special order 98 model year vehicle with 5.0L and Class III tow package.

Back