Update on my 1st Gen Purchase... Here is what I bought.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Update on my 1st Gen Purchase... Here is what I bought..

travlincub321

Reaction score
City, State
Portland OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
I bought a 1993 Limited with 97K from a local Jeep Dealer. It was a two owner rig (not 1 like they said, i talked with the PO and it was 2..) and he has kept every record on it from 1996. He kept it with his airplane near his second home and it shows how garage kept it is.

It is in Immaculate shape... New tires, new brakes, cold ac, the transmission shifts like butter, all the windows work. The carpet is like new, the cargo cover is new... It passed the dealer inspection with flying colors. ANd my mechanic too

I offered $3,400.00 with tags and fee's... I know that was a tad too much.. But as clean and well cared for as this rig is, it was worth it. The paint isn't even beat up.. KBB was like $2,800 and $3,000 for excellent

It just felt right... I know i could have gotten newer/nicer or what not, but hey.

I am supposed to pick it up Tuesday... Wih me luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I was nervous to post but im so stoked. Its a nice truck

That's not too bad for a clean Limited with good paint and decent tires, if everything works, but hard to know if it REALLY has 97K or if that's 197K on a '93 with a 5-digit odometer.

Did you check the rear part of the rocker panels for rust and damage? That would be my main concern on a vehicle with the running boards. Even if it's not that bad, you may wind up needing to pull the running boards and do some body work to prevent any internal rust from eating through.

You might have been able to get it for less if you freaked out that the dual air bags were "missing".

Options
•Power Steering
•Power Windows
•Dual Power Seats
•ABS
•Leather
•Air Conditioning
•Cassette
•Privacy Glass
•Alloy Wheels
•Cruise
•Roof Rack
•Running Boards
•Tow Package
Dual Air Bags
•Power Brakes
•Power Door Locks
•Am/fm Stereo Radio
•Tachometer
•Front Bucket Seats
•Rear Defroster
•Rear Window Wiper
•Memory Seats
•Bug Shield
•Keyless Entry
•Trailer Hitch
•Overhead Console
•Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
•Power Mirrors
•Center Console
•Driver Memory Package

Don't sweat the purchase. A lot of us here buy Explorers destined for the scrap pile and resurrect them, spending more money and time on them than they're worth (to most people). In the end, you came out the same :)

Don't sweat the purchase. A lot of us here buy Explorers destined for the scrap pile and resurrect them, spending more money and time on them than they're worth (to most people). In the end, you came out the same :)

This one survived Cash for Clunkers and won't see a Junk yard till im dead.
Same with my 2000

I didn't look at it like that, but thats true.. We save some and have silly amounts into these old beasts, but we love em.

I love me some super clean first gen. Here's mine.

20141005_140338.jpg

Serious score! Easily another 200k you can get from that Explorer to the tune of 3 grand. Well done

Wow, that's a nice one! Hopefully, mine will look that good soon. Won't take much, it's just a lot of time. Glad you want to keep her that way. They really are great vehicles. :)

Ever notice pilots are very particular about their stuff???

Also who cares if it did have 197k instead of 97k, that thing is cherry! These 1st gens steal my heart for some reason.

Just needs twin sticks now ;) like my limited :)
DSC_0158.jpg

Ever notice pilots are very particular about their stuff???

Also who cares if it did have 197k instead of 97k, that thing is cherry! These 1st gens steal my heart for some reason.

Just needs twin sticks now ;) like my limited :)
DSC_0158.jpg

I am jealous of the single shifter bezel. I had to make mine, and it doesn't look near as awesome.
20150127_1426141_zpsb09f87b2.jpg

I do so love the idea of a manual transfer case. I have no reason to change right now, as everything is in working order, but I like it.

Wow! Amazing condition, even for garage-kept, from what I can tell. It still has the stock radio, which is surprising to me! Also has the autohubs... (!)

I'd say check behind the running board sills for rocker rust...but from the looks of this cherry car I'd say it probably doesn't have it. Congrats!

Back