• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Injectors & MAF

valdr

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 5.0
Any experience with upgraded injectors, e.g. the Bosch 4 hole injectors. Is the claim true about improved mileage and better performance?

Also I saw some posting about upgrading to a cobra MAF, e.g. 70 or 80 mm. Does it improve performance? What's involved? Can you just exchange one for another?

Any other easy improvements in addition to an improved air filter?

I would be interested mostly in improving towing performance while also improving mileage for the everyday drive.

I've also read a bunch of great posts about upgrading the breaking system. I will attempt this as well (front and back).

Thanks a bunch!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not much improvement will be gained until you upgrade the exhaust manifolds....they are pathetic. Torque Monster Headers should be your #1 upgrade...

Ryan

i think his plan is to not spend $689 on a mod.

I've looked at headers, but as energie mentioned they are not cheap, and sometimes difficult to replace. I am also interested in achieving greater fuel economy.

The Bosch injectors claim exactly that, and the theory makes sense (four holes provide fine fuel mix over stock one hole), but then again practical application often differ and sometimes the change is hardly noticeable.

So why not trying to re-use some of the cobra performance enhancing items while also using modern technology.

Any pointers appreciated!

So far I found out that stock explorer II uses one hole, 19 lb injectors.

There are Bosch 4 hole injectors being offered, from 19 lb up.

I wonder if I could just put 24 lb injectors into my X and bolt a 90 mm MAF from a cobra onto the Manifold.

Are you certain the stock injectors are 1 hole?

I wonder if I could just put 24 lb injectors into my X and bolt a 90 mm MAF from a cobra onto the Manifold.

I would have shown that the Ford[Bosch] injectors from about 94-95 were the four hole pintle design...

Are the injector bodies 1 solid color[orange] or are they orange top with gray or black midsection bodies? The ones I have seen that were solid orange are four hole pintle design...

Custom tune

You would need a custom tune to obtain the correct air/fuel ratio. Your stock injectors should be adequate up to 250 rwhp. Here's a link to an interesting page I found on the internet: http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

That is an interesting page...thx

I have solid yellow / orange color, assuming 4 hole. I'll pull them once I get a few hours.

I'll investigate a 70 mm TB now. I've read a few comments and it seems interesting.

Back