Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Upgrade MAF sensor on a 3.0L ?

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by 91FR, April 2, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. 91FR

91FR New Member

City, State:
    Sand Dune, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '91 Ranger
    Can i upgrade the MAF sensor on my 91 Ranger with the 3.0L engine?

It appears that the MAF sensor is about half the diameter of the throttle body openning. I would like to increase the diameter of the MAF to about the same size as the throttle body.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. wendorms

wendorms New Member

1999 Ford Ranger
    Larger MAF? Beware!

If you go with a bigger maf sensor body you are going to slow down the air passing by the sensor which will cause your ECU to send LESS fuel to the injectors causing a dangerous "lean" condition. What you CAN do is, streamline the inside surfaces of the housing with a dremel style rotary tool and sanding rolls so that the air can move through it easier, and not be so much of a different change in air flow that the computer can't adjust for. It worked really well on my '99, 3.0. I also smoothed out/polished the throttle body for a couple of hp....just don't touch the area in the middle where the butterfly valve seats!

4. McCormack

McCormack Active Member

City, State:
    S.E. WI
    2000 Ranger
    I did the MAF mod to my '00 3.0 and got a small but worthwhile gain in power.