• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading my sound

Strummerx45

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have been lurking around trying to learn a lot about the explorer i acquired. I got a 96 for college that came with a Sony CD changer that is FM Modulated from what i know because i have to tune to a FM Station in order to hear it. I want to upgrade to a new HU but what to incorporate the CD changer that is already there. I am not a big fan of the Sony HU from listening to them in other cars. I want to go with an Alpine HU but want to know if i can use the changer with it. Also, how hard would it be to do this all myself. I am a novice when it comes to Audio in a car, so if i do outsource it, would it be better to send it to a place like Circuit City or a Car shop in my neighborhood?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cd changer will work with any other cd player becuase it is fm modulated. Hell if the person in the car next to you tuned to that station they could probably here it also. And it would be simple to do it yourself. I am guessing it would take no more than 30 minutes for a first timer to put in a new cd player. And if you do end up not being able to do it, you take it to circuit city and pay what you were going to pay anyway for them to put it in. I am not a fan of circuit city but would reccomend them over alittle shop as they would probably fix anything that came up with alittle bickering and talking to the next higher up, in a small shop once the owner has said no there's no going past that.

would it be possible to hardwire it to the new HU cause i want the best sound possible from it

hardwiring is a different story you'll have to check and see what the changer is compatible with, mostly they are brand specific ie sony changer sony cd player.

If you bought a Sony HU you could just plug it in, no modulator needed.

Thanks. I guess i would have to get a Sony in order for it to work.

Back