Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Upgrading TV's to LED in RV

Discussion in 'RV / Trailers / Camping' started by BKennedy, January 13, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 XLT
    Did more LED related upgrades to the RV, but this time it was the lights. I replaced all of the interior lights, and the porch light for around $40. All ebay purchased.

20 of these.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Light output is nearly the same, but all of them combined are pulling about as many amps as two of the fixtures with incandescent bulbs (2 each, approximately 1.5 amps per bulb).

4 of these
    [​IMG]
    Have not received them yet, but they are for the bedroom reading lights. They look like the lights above, but have a different bottom.

2 of these
    [​IMG]
    Night light over stove and porch step light. Now I can leave the night light on all night. I am also going to use two of them for the map lights in the Explorer and maybe the rest in my low voltage accent lights in front of the house.

2 of these
    [​IMG]
    Have not received them yet, but they are for the lights over the dinette because the smaller LED's listed above are not bright enough for that location. Sorry about the tiny picture. If the smaller LED's are not bright enough for the low voltage accent lights out front, I will use these.

Now I won't have to worry as much about the family running the battery down by leaving all the lights on. They are all the "warm white" LED's because they seem to look the closest to incandescent lights.

Last edited: September 12, 2015
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Heath

Heath Elite Moderator Intoxicator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Rigby, ID
    00 Excursion (THE BUS)
    I want to put those in my travel trailer one of these days... Love that idea..

Also my front port lights on my house!!! Need to find something similar shape to a regular bulb that puts out the equivalent of 100W bulb. Thats my preference anyway...

4. BKennedy

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    I ordered some more bulbs and two 4-way switches for the bedroom reading lamps. They have two 1076 bulbs each and are way too bright for reading if someone (the wife) is trying to sleep.

I also ordered new T-10 blade type automotive plugs and some more LED bulbs. I can use one lower output and one higher output bulb on each lamp. The new switches will allow the bulbs to be used individually or together. Should help keep the complaining down to a minimum and be more versatile.

Replaced all the interior bulbs for the Explorer with LED. The rear cargo lamp has a interesting bulb. I removed the blade type plug on a LED bulb and soldiered the wires to the existing tabs.

ForumRunner_20150918_234202.jpg

ForumRunner_20150918_234221.jpg

ForumRunner_20150918_234247.jpg

Also, am planning on re-wiring my outdoor lamps for the same T-10 blade type.

5. BKennedy

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    The 4 1076 bulbs I bought were defective. They blew fuses, then shorted out. The vendor refunded my payment without returning the bulbs. I removed the bases and all the grounds were not wired to the terminal points. Two of the four bulbs functioned when hot wired (the others had some burned out LED's) so I modified them to work off a T10 plug. They are now in the fixture above the dinette as the bulbs in that location were not bright enough.

Waiting for more bulbs, switches and the T10 plugs to arrive for the bedroom reading lights.

6. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    I have replaced most of the incandescent lights with LEDs in our camper as well. It sure will help with keeping the batteries charged while dry camping.