Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Upper and Lower Intake. See! Interpret!

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by mbruffey, June 18, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mbruffey

mbruffey Active Member

City, State:
      MN, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer
      Got it apart. Anything look amiss? Interpretations, comments, remarks welcomed!

Mark

Attached Files:

Last edited: June 26, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mbruffey

mbruffey Active Member

City, State:
      MN, MN
      1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer
      Bump. Became member and put pics inline. Mark

4. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
      Are you having issues with it? I don't see anything glaringly out of place, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for...

5. mbruffey

mbruffey Active Member

City, State:
      MN, MN
      1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer
      Just a "miss" that can't be linked to any specific cylinder (no specific codes), a little-faster-than-normal idle warm, an occasional start/stall/start/stall, and pinging on hard acceleration. Thought I would eliminate the common causes of vacuum leaks first. A couple of the bolts were hardly finger-tight on the upper and lower intake manifolds and the upper gasket seemed a bit oily on both sides (splotches). I also discovered, after I got into it, that there was no screen beneath the PCV valve and that valve, even though I had changed it less than 20K miles ago, was pretty sticky. I was surprised by that.

Some intake ports seem darker than others and there are some orangy splotches under the lower. Splotches could be from drip off the plenum cooler hoses when I took it off, but I did not notice if I actually dripped in there when I removed it. I'm not nearly enough of an expert to interpret the pictures. I'm guessing it's pretty normal, but why not ask. There are some really smart/knowledgeable participants on this board.

Mark