Upper Control Arms (for the seriously dropped) | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper Control Arms (for the seriously dropped)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok how about stock upper and lower control arms from a Ranger. Get these from a junkyard and then just get a 2" drop spindle. Then my guess would be no camber problem just 2 inches of drop. What do you guys think and yes i know this thread is dead.

noone knows if thye will even bolt up without modifications

Originally posted by boominXplorer
noone knows if thye will even bolt up without modifications

C'mon man read the thread, james bought the ranger control arms and they fit, they just had to be lengthened.

Originally posted by Hartman
C'mon man read the thread, james bought the ranger control arms and they fit, they just had to be lengthened.

No one knows if the lower control arms will fit or not

The lower arms will work but they're useless unless you're gonna bag because they are made for coil springs.

Well the lower control arm has a spot for the coil the work would just geving the coil to rest on the top. How is the coil held in for the Ranger.

you will have to weld on a coilspring tower. and that is IF the upper and lower ranger arms can be aligned. stock arms are useless however, because they dont make a lowering spindle. rangers use aftermarket control arms and coils for a front drop. you would also have to have a custom set of coils made because a ranger coil would be too soft for the weight of an explorer and you would still have a crappy ride.

Were the a-arm from the ranger side specific ? Could they be swapped from one side ? If they are side specific , it in theory would rotate the caster the other direction if sides were swapped . Of course if the joint was centered in the arm and both are the same bar side-by-side then my post is not worth the cyber-space it took up :)

they are not side specific. you can swap either to the other side.

ok i jus got on the site i know its closed but i have a comment

I am a ranger guy and has been for i dont know how long. I had a bagged 00 and it just got totaled, now i have a 97 4 dr xlt X, i so the part where someone said the ball joint on the ranger mounts in a differnt spot than the explorer did, i just got underneath mine and it mounts on top just like the ranger does..........so i dont know what this means.......but with looking on my explorer the control arm looks lik it should work fine....it even looked to be the same length and stuff to so i dont know why in your case you had worse camber.......but this is my new project on baggin on 20's on the ground and stuff but ill let yall know what yall could do when i get thru wit it.....later, ill check back for replies

the only problem was the control arm wasnt long enough to correct the camber. the DJM ranger upper arms were actually a little shorter than the stock explorer arms, which made the camber worse. i had them lengthened 1" and fixed the problem. actually, 3/4" would have been better because 1" was almost too much.

Yeah i know about that, sorry i didnt mention it but you already know that now. But im not sure what the difference might be between the torsion bar rangers (edge) and the explorers uppers but i know you could use the torsion bar upper control arms on a coilover ranger to correct the camber a little bc they were longer.

Back