• Register Today It's free!

upper shock bushings

grooveface

Reaction score
City, State
pohatcong, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ranger xlt
I recently installed rough country nitro 9000 shocks on my 1993 explorer. A week after I put them on the upper bushings on the rear shocks have completely disintegrated. Has anyone had problems like this before? I did some light off-roading today and when I got back on the road one bushing was completely torn in half and the other was starting to tear. By the time I got home one was gone and the other is about to come off. Makes a real nasty clunking sound. Any help would be great.

I installed the exact same shocks about a month ago and have been very happy with them. I haven't checked on them though, so I will check tomorrow to see if the same thing is happening to my shocks. I haven't heard any clunking noises like you mentioned though. I don't know what would cause the bushings to tear like that besides a manufacturing defect.

Thanks for the info. I'm supposed to get two new shocks sent to me on tuesday. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. I will check out autozone. Right now I have some bike innertube wrapped in where the old bushings would go. Took it out for a test ride on some bumpy roads and no noise. Seems like it will hold for the next couple of days.

Back