Upper starter mounting bolt missing 93 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper starter mounting bolt missing 93 Explorer

Dubious_Downfall

Reaction score
City, State
Fife, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Mazda Navajo LX
Did my front brakes yesterday. It should have been a moment of relief, but after driving it maybe 50 feet, turning it off, and trying to start it again, I could hear the starter spinning, but no contact with the engine. I initially assumed my starter was bad. After getting a push start, then driving out to Pick-n-Pull, pulling a starter and bolts from an automatic first gen explorer, and paying for it, I crawled under my truck in the parking lot, grabbed my ratchet, and promptly realized nothing was holding my starter in but the cramped space.

Now my problem. Luckily, I grabbed bolts from the donor truck. Unluckily, only the lower bolt fit. For some reason, the threads on the top bolt seem ever-so-slightly too large to fit the existing mounting hole. I tried in vain for 15 minutes to get that bolt to thread into that hole. The only reason I can think that the bolts would be different is that my truck is a manual, and the donor is an automatic. Otherwise, there may be a year difference. I don't know.

To lay it out: I have a 1993 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 Manual. The production date is October 1992.

I need thread size and bolt length. I'd just go pull a bolt from a manual to try it, but literally every Explorer in their yard is an automatic. Any help is appreciated. I can't stand hearing the starter grind and fail to start my truck properly any longer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From your description it sounds like the upper bolt threads may be stripped.

Also, if you're putting the starter from the automatic onto your manual trans, I don't believe it will work, they are different.

Er... Shouldn't the bolt be too small for the hole if the hole is stripped? I have the opposite problem. My bolt is too big for the hole.

Maybe the threads are not stripped in the way you're thinking, maybe they are damaged, chewed up, from the original bolt slowly backing out out and banging around over time, while driving.

I suggest getting ahold of a tap and die set, and try to fix the threads back to original thread size and pitch. It's probably just the outer few turns that are messed up.

Is the original bolt broken off inside, making it seem like the other bolt is too large?

Its possible a previous owner stripped the bolt hole, then installed a smaller diameter helicoil or other repair sleeve.

Auto starter into a manual bell housing just wont line up, and seem like it won't thread. Not only are they different sizes, the engine to trans plate is different at the starter hole.

Stick a Phillips screwdriver into the bolt hole in the trans, and check for a snapped bolt, flashlight and mirror to check for a helicoil insert, etc...

If all checks out well, get a manual starter, and the bolt holes will line up.

Auto starter into a manual bell housing just wont line up, and seem like it won't thread. Not only are they different sizes, the engine to trans plate is different at the starter hole.

Stick a Phillips screwdriver into the bolt hole in the trans, and check for a snapped bolt, flashlight and mirror to check for a helicoil insert, etc...

If all checks out well, get a manual starter, and the bolt holes will line up.

Going to grab a mirror from the parts store and give this a shot.

Since I replaced the lower bolt, I haven't had any starting issues. Luckily.

Er... Shouldn't the bolt be too small for the hole if the hole is stripped? I have the opposite problem. My bolt is too big for the hole.

Sorry about that I thought your bolt was too small. My bad I prob misread it.

Well, my clutch started slipping like crazy, so the starter bolt is on the back burner until I get the clutch changed out. And possibly the rear main seal...

Back