Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Urgent Trailmaster kit

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by gage, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gage

gage Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hopkins Minnesota
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Exp. Sport, 91 5.0LX
      Help has anyone had trouble with Rack and pinons concerning the Trail Master 4".

I for one have gone through 3 of them and I am tired of it.

On top of that they want 600.00 or so for the drive shaft that should have come with the kit in the first place.

What is the front kit worth I will need to recoop some costs when I go to a solid. It (the front kit) will be for sale.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      What I would do is spend 500 bucks on superlift's steering knuckles and ditch the crappy trailmaster steering design. Then get a custom driveshaft made for around 300. 600 is way too much to pay.

4. Xplodor

Xplodor Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Riverside, Ca
      '01 XLT 4x4
      Gage,

Do you have any picts posted of your truck? The link isn't working. I'd go with the superlift steering components.

5. gage

gage Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hopkins Minnesota
      98 Exp. Sport, 91 5.0LX
      Knuckles

Superlift will not sell the steering components alone to anyone. I have called and also had the local dealer call to see what they would say.

PICs yep email me and I will send some to you. It now has shackles on it. Do you know of a free site for pics? I do not know how to lower the size of each pic so I could not put them on the Elite Gallery.

6. Jason_25

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      Try Louisville 4x4. They have the knuckles listed as a separate part number.

7. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
    8. gage

gage Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hopkins Minnesota
      98 Exp. Sport, 91 5.0LX
      Knuckles

OK, called Louisville 4x4 they only have the one part number. They told me to call Superlift themself to find out if I can get just the knuckles. I know from my calls from last year you cann't get them unless you have the kit already such as a replacement part.

Any one with a superlift kit want to buy them for me?

Any thought on price for a used front TM kit?

9. Jason_25

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
    10. Klowns

Klowns Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Mesa, Az
      '95 XL
      That doens't quite make sense to me that they will only sell to someone that has the kit already or whatever. I mean it does, but how do they know if you have a kit already. But, if you'll pm me, i'll talk to you via phone, and maybe I can order one for you if that's the case, I already have the kit for 96-01 on my 95.

11. Ray Lobato

Ray Lobato Moderator Moderator Emeritus

2006 Honda Accord
      I talked to Superlift along time ago and they would sell me the front portion of the kit (1.1k), but for liability reasons would not sell me just the steering knuckles.
      I have wheeled plenty and have never had a problem with the rack and pinion. I don't like the slide either, because the wheels will not go back to center. When I first got the kit, it was really horrible. I just got used to it. It's alot better , but still won't go back to center.
      What did they say was wrong with your rack and pinion.

12. gage

gage Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hopkins Minnesota
      98 Exp. Sport, 91 5.0LX
      Rack

Thats strange, Mine does go back to center all the time. yet I keep going through racks. I keep blowing the seals and then it leaks in the boots. Any way to check the presure of the pump to make sure its not doing this to me? if so what should it be.

When I called he did not seam to know what I was talking about. I did however tell him I wanted the just the knuckles. I will call him again and see what that kit has in it.

I called a local place today and they have some dana 44 around. they will sell one to me for about $250.00. so... I am starting to collect my parts.

Klowns: Yea, in case you brake one they dont want you buy a new kit, How they tell if you have one already I'm not sure. I will call them to find out what the process is. and how much. They probably just want a copy of the recept.

The last time I talked to Trail Master they act has if every thing has to be in exact math and right angles, give me a brake! I thought this thing was designed for the trail, MUD and other.

Jason_25: From my understanding this is the entire front kit not just the knuckles. now I don't know what the diff. is but this kit sells for much more at some other sites and the number #9637 is not on Superlift site. may be I can buy the kit and sell the rest and my front TrailMaster crap with it to somebody here! I am sure I could get 200.00+ or so for it.

Man do I love this site! I need to update my membership. Sorry Rick I will get on that.

13. gage

gage Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hopkins Minnesota
      98 Exp. Sport, 91 5.0LX
      Superlift

OK, Called Superlift today and they told me that they do have a kit for just the knuckles, so I will be going that direction. I called Louisville 4x4 and she told me that they (SL) has not started shiping the kit yet. SL said that it has been out a while so I called a friend today and he said they can get it for me for $400.00 which saves me $137.00 plus tax and shiping. I Hope this will cure my problem.

The SL guy said he was going to send the directions for thier kits to help deside what I wanted to do. When I get his name I will post it because he is great and has a wealth of knowlage. The kit only comes with the knuckles and some hardware so I will have nothing to sell other than my stearing rod from trailmaster. I don't think that will have any value other than to throw it back in the window from which it came.

Man I hope this helps. I am still waiting on TM for a reply. The last time I talked to them it took about two weeks just to get them to reply

14. gage

gage Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hopkins Minnesota
      98 Exp. Sport, 91 5.0LX
      Bump

Bump

15. yeti

yeti Member

City, State:
      Vancouver British Columbia Canada
      2000 explorer sport
      I have had no problem with my rack yet either, i also have no problem with my steering going back to center, but i do have that weird grinding noise comig from my transfer case area, but that has just turned into an annoying noise an no major problems,yet.

im intersted to see how your addition of the steering knuckles from super lift turns out.