1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

US Coast Guard

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by RFR2212, December 21, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RFR2212

RFR2212 Typing Police Elite Explorer

City, State:
      In the mug by Chitown
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      95 JEEP Wrangler
      Anyone know anything about em? I've been looking into signing up for this. Testing hasn't gone my favor for law enforcement, so looking into something I can get into, and stay here in the US and this is the most appealing for me.

Anyone have any info on em?

Thanks.

Pedro

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jnealg

jnealg Active Member

City, State:
      atlanta, ga
      99 xls
      Well there is no garrantee you will stay in the US, Coasties can deploy overseas too.
      After a fair carreer in the Navy working closely with the Coast Gaurd in Drug interdiction, I almost signed up up for another hitch but with them instead of the Nav.
      We had a Coast Gaurd detail on board all the time and learned a lot from them. We all worked closely with various govt entities.
      Most likely you will stay local (US), but you can find yourself overseas, even stationed on a big gray ship instead of a white one :)
      One piece of advice for anyone thinking of going into the military that I give, have the job you want picked out before you join. Dont go in thinking well, I'll be a BM and then decide wheather I want to go to an electronics rating or machinist or whatever. It rarely happens that way.
      I have made a living with the skills I learned in the Navy and would reccomend it to anyone.

4. FC2ED

FC2ED Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Philly, PA but transplanted too Bryans Road, MD
      1994 Mazda Navajo
      First thing I suggest is to not call them "Puddle Jumpers". Coasties seem to be a little sensitive to this subject. jnealg is correct in his statement, you may or may not be deployed away from home. The CG have detachments that tend to ride along with the Navy on certain missions such as Counter-Narcotics operations in the Caribbean.
      The CG does however use some of the Navy's training for certain rates. I had several Coasties in my FC "A School" class. Then they have limited "C School" class as they do not have all the same equipment.
      If you're looking for something in law enforcement, CG is not a bad way to go. Keep in mind that the Detachment units are typically law enforcement based units providing drug interdiction (sp?).

Good Luck in whatever direction you go in.

5. TSTONE

TSTONE Giddy up! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland County, MI
      97 Mountaineer
      Have you thought about becoming a Sky Marshall or something along those lines, that would be pretty cool. Also don't believe a word any armed forces recruiter tells you they are paid to lie and you have little or no recourse once you've signed, ask to have your contract looked over by a lawyer and explained to you prior to signing, it's well worth the money.

6. RFR2212

City, State:
      In the mug by Chitown
      95 JEEP Wrangler
      I definately want to look into something for law enforcement. I didn't waste 4 years at college for nothing. My pops also mentioned going into officers canidate school and getting paid more and starting out better because of my education. We'll see. Should I join, it most likely wont be until spring or early summer. It is a big decision and deserves time to think about. No doubt I could end up over seas, but from what i can gather, this is the one branch where I've got a better chance of staying here.

Sky marshall no way! Cool job and all, I just don't fly. I think it's fun, my stomach thinks otherwise. As for recruiters, I've got my pops to help out. He spent time in the Navy, and as for a lawyer to review the contract, he's that too, so I'll be getting straight facts from him.

7. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      The Guard, the infamous "shallow water sailers", is a great branch of the Service.

8. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      First off joining "the gaurd" of any branch isn't going to gauruntee or even reduce your chances of being deployed overseas. If you have a degree I believe you can go into any branch of service as an officer but depending on what you want to do you may not like it. Here in the Army officers are mostly paper pushers and do administrative tasks. But you do get payed more and it is more "respected." Personally I thought about joining the Coast Gaurd before I joined the Army. I joined the Army because they had alot more job available for me to choose from, If/when I decide to get out I'll be able to get a real good job so that's something to consider as well. It is a big desicion and I'd recommend talking to a recruiter and taking everything they say very lightly. They're full of crap for the most part, I know mine was. Go take the asvab and then goto MEPS and see what they offer you, you're under no obligation to sign up when you goto MEPS (despite what they say).

9. RFR2212

City, State:
      In the mug by Chitown
      95 JEEP Wrangler
      MEPS being?

10. dgibson

dgibson Elite Explorer<br>ECX member

City, State:
      virginia beach, va (originally from AR, go Hogs)
      93 xlt
      Coast Gaurd is a good branch. I am actually looking at maybe crossing over there from the Navy. I know that they are REALLY looking for electronics techs over there. When I was teaching school for the navy, I used to get a lot of coasties over in my class. Good luck in whatever you decide.

11. TSTONE

TSTONE Giddy up! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland County, MI
      97 Mountaineer
    12. jnealg

jnealg Active Member

City, State:
      atlanta, ga
      99 xls
      Meps is the regional processing point for all military. Military Entrance Processing Station (I think).
      Thats usually the place you will take your ASVAB, oath and in my case spend all night drinking because some idiot robbed a jewelry store and held up in my hotel.

13. jnealg

jnealg Active Member

City, State:
      atlanta, ga
      99 xls
      Recruiters come in two types, just like sale people. You have the slimy ones that dont give a hoot about anything but their numbers and (like mine) the no BS ones that will tell you what to really expect and let you weigh your options.

If you go CG def go OCS. Navy and CG officer corps is outstanding and while they do the paperwork (they are the managers after all) I spent a lot of time with my Division Officers in the off time and liked most of them a lot. You will get rotated around in your duties so you will gain a lot of different experiences managing different groups. Then when you get out it will def pay more to have that managing experience.

14. JackC

JackC New Member

City, State:
      Perkasie, Pa
      1996 XLT
      What do you have against overseas?? Thats the best part of being in the service. Retired BTC(SW)USN. And if you are in a Sea Service, go to sea!! No jokes about the CG from me, they rode some of the ships I was on in the Gulf.

15. SplashMan

SplashMan Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cedar Rapids, IA
      '93 Ranger
      Just sign up for 4 yrs active in the Navy, ask for IT "A" school(that way I get to pick on you for 14 wks), take you chances on a boat or shore (orders are running about 50/50 right now for "A" schoolers). 4 yrs is nothing. It will fly once you get out of boot and "A" school(both of which are here in Great Lakes). You can then come back and reapply for any law enforcement job and probably get it.
      Honestly, the best most stable time of my life was the 9 yrs in the Navy, I recommend it to anyone. :thumbsup:

16. RFR2212

City, State:
      In the mug by Chitown
      95 JEEP Wrangler
      As for an update to this thread... I have not passed the necessary tests for the dept. I wanted to work with and the other depts as of now are going no where for me. So shortly I will be in contact with Coast Guard, Navy and Air Force recruiters regarding OCS.... I think I would enjoy the tough work to become an officer in these branches, and could be a great learning experience, ans possible future with them... So we shall see. I just wanted to update all.

17. JGAMBLE

JGAMBLE B

City, State:
      Ft. Wainwright, Ak
      1994xlt
      Go Air Force :thumbsup: Been in the army 7 yrs and I've worked with the A/F. Very laid back and easy going(compared to the army). Navy's a good 2nd choice. Coast guard, don't know much about em, but you won't see too many place working for em. Good luck with whichever you decide.

:chug: :chug:

18. 00XLS

00XLS Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Frackville/State College PA
      Explorer 00 XLS
      Been there for my physical for the Corps, amazing the respect I got from the personal there vs the treatment the enlisted lads got from them.

19. JGAMBLE

JGAMBLE B

City, State:
      Ft. Wainwright, Ak
      1994xlt
      he is correct. Unfortounately the military places WAY too emphasis on officers. I'm sure what they do is important, but not as important as they make it out to be. In my 7 yrs in it seems to me that most senior NCO's can run a unit as well or better than the officer.

:chug: :chug:

20. spta97

spta97 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      NY, NY
      2000 5.0 AWD
      How about the FBI? That looks like a cool job.

21. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      03 Ninja 636, 96 Ex Sport
      Gamble what are you talking about! Your army and reccomending air force. I have been in the army for five years, its a vacation. You get to sleep in everyday, rarely do anything physical, and you never ever go overseas!!!

Sarcasm.......lol go airforce or CG for a laid back ride, but then again its not like officers work no matter what service they are in j/k.

Couple of officer slams.
      Don't call me sir, i work for a living.
      Win the war with a ball point pen?
      Admin ranger, paper cut danger.
      What do i do next said the lueiy
      J/king all in good fun.

22. turbo8

turbo8 Elite Navajo Babe Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Round Rock, TX
      I dream of a 71 bronco
      My dad was Air Force for 26 years, and I was in AFROTC in college. I wanted to go in but ended up more interested in computer science and the like. **also realizing I could make bank in the computer industry** I work in GIS...computer mapping. I've worked my way through the ranks, and do very well. I am very visually and spatially oriented, so it was a natural career choice for me.

My best friend in high school (her father was also an AF lifer...28 years) wanted to join the military but wanted something that wouldn't land her in a combat situation. She was looking into joining the coast guard after graduation ('89) and found the merchant marines. I don't know what they're about, but maybe look into that too.

My friend ended up not doing either and went to college a few years, then dropped out. She's been a cashier for a golf course on a base in Texas for like 10 years now.

So whatever you do, pick one and try it for the minimum sign-up term. You might like it, you might not. You might even find something you really like by doing that for a few years. Sheesh!...maybe become a lifer. Who's to say? At least you won't be saying, "Mr. Birdie, party of 4, you're on tee in 5 minutes." or better yet, "Would you like fries with that?" for the next 10 years.

Whatever you do, good luck!! ~~kim :navajo:

23. Charlie's_93EB

Charlie's_93EB Cat 3 Hurricane Rated

City, State:
      Venice florida
      1993 Eddie Bauer
      what testing did you fail,????

24. RFR2212

City, State:
      In the mug by Chitown
      95 JEEP Wrangler
      psych exam... what part about it? I don't know, but appearently I can't hack it for them as of now... 1000 or so true false answers about things I like or dont like, and then a 30min interview w/ a shrink... Appearently that can tell all about me... It's BS if you ask me...

25. Nasty350LT1

Nasty350LT1 Active Member

City, State:
      Just around the corner
      1999 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD
      Join the "Marine Corp" Semper Fi
      I did just that back in 73 after getting out of college,
      got away from home for the summer, got to see the world.
      Operation - Eagle Pull, Operation - Frequent Wind.
      Also, I only got shot once...

26. SplashMan

SplashMan Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cedar Rapids, IA
      '93 Ranger
      If you can hack it(it is a serious mental change), go enlisted first. Sign up for the minimum 4yrs active 6 inactive and apply for OCS or one of the other officer programs after a year or so. Seriously, academy officers are not respected any where near as much as a mustang officer. Mustangs have been in the trenches and know what it is like, academy officers haven't and in 15yrs I have yet to meet an academy officer worth a S**t.
      I deal with officers from all the branches every day and maybe I'm bias because I was in the Navy, but the Navy officers seem to be the most laid back/happy, with the Air Force next, then the Army and lastly the Marines. (just a personal observation, I'm not knocking any of the branches)
      Joining the military is not an easy step though, it is a lot of mental crap. I see at least 2-4 recruits a day get dropped from school or the Navy because they couldn't get out of the high school mentality. Most of the first year of your enlistment would be training and you have to put up with people constantly watching and correcting you. Once you get out to the "real" military and out of the "training" military it gets a lot easier.
      I think I know you pretty good though Pete and think you could definitely do it, if that is what you decide.