USB movies on jump drive for DVD headrests? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

USB movies on jump drive for DVD headrests?

Let's get back on topic.

It says in the manual you can play the various video formats. But I and Finch are having troubles... anyone have success or a work around?\

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've successfully played videos in the *.avi container that were encoded as Divx and Xvid.

I have not tried any other formats like *.mp4

Basically it just provides a list of the files in the root directory and you use the remote to move up and down.

Thanks... i will try loading up some avi's again...

I've successfully played videos in the *.avi container that were encoded as Divx and Xvid.

Basically it just provides a list of the files in the root directory and you use the remote to move up and down.

I just want to confirm you had success with these formats by using the Invision Headrest DVD USB port right?

I tried using a 8 Gig PNY Flash Drive Where I loaded up Movies (AVI, MP4, and MPEG 2), Audio in MP3, and some JPG. The only time it even thought about recognizing the flash drive was when it had a picture on it. So I figure it does see it. Even though I had a lot of trouble getting the DVD player to show me the directory.

The Hmmm moment came reading forums and websites and some where I went let me not try to have the DVD pull information off the flash drive but push it into the player by attaching a MP3 player and hitting play. So I took my daughters little IPod Nano and inserted a USB to Ipod connector. AND BAM! the DVD player went right to the root file structure. BUT no audio could be played. Tried an Ipad not even root menu on the DVD. The next attempt will be a Ipod after i get it charged up a little... But hopefully someone will read this and experiment a little and maybe we can get it working.

Wish us luck.

BTW called the Invision toll free number left a message... HA! nothing... I think we are on our own. ;-(

Please give us all the details so we can learn from your success. Is it the same DVD player.. What media was holding your movies... did you connect directly or via cable... help us

just a thought. I know some devices with usb won't support a flash drive over a certain GB, like 8GB or something, so maybe those having problems might try a smaller drive? like maybe a 2gb flash drive just to see if it works? maybe this one can only see up to 4gb??? or maybe the drive has to have a specific file name that the movies are in to see it?? i know to install a cracked game on a jailbroken iphone the root directory HAS to have a file named Cydia -> AutoInstall for the phone to see it, with caps and all.....

Vig...

Excellent suggestion, while I was at work I thought about it every free moment, And the only thing I smaller flash drive I had beside the 2 8gig was a 10 meg stick we got from a xmas santa photo op. AND IT WORKED!

Popped it in ejected the DVD and it went right to the photo of my kids on Santa's lap, then I hit Menu on the DVD remote and there was the avi file. But it said it could not play it... CRAP!

Now to test some other formats and see what I can do.... still waiting to hear from others that have been successful on what they used for a flash drive and video formats they used

ok so this is what I have learned so far...

I encoded the above file I mentioned in MPEG2 format. So I was really concerned was it a flash drive size issue or something else. Well the flash drive size does not appear to be an issue... looks like I stumbled onto the real issue. encoding the movies in the right file format.

I don't believe the invision manual is correct. I had no success in playing any video format other then MPEG2. As I learn more I will keep you all updated. Right now I am encoding a full length movie into MPEG2 format, and will be placing it on that 8gig flash drive. Wish me luck!

Well this will be my last post, unless someone requests more information...

• Flash drive size does not matter.
  • The only video encode I had success with was MPEG2
  • Highly recommend downgrading video quality, doesn't really show on a small 7in screen and the smaller file size allows more movies per card *** I was able to get 12 moves on a 8gig Card ***
  • Lastly Thanks goes to Any Video Converter that made the video conversion much easier, with batch processing goodness *** warning my Antivirus stated it was malware, but I installed anyways and saw no ill effects. ***

Good luck everyone!

Well this will be my last post, unless someone requests more information...

• Flash drive size does not matter.
  • The only video encode I had success with was MPEG2
  • Highly recommend downgrading video quality, doesn't really show on a small 7in screen and the smaller file size allows more movies per card *** I was able to get 12 moves on a 8gig Card ***
  • Lastly Thanks goes to Any Video Converter that made the video conversion much easier, with batch processing goodness *** warning my Antivirus stated it was malware, but I installed anyways and saw no ill effects. ***

Good luck everyone!
Thanks for taking the time to post that! I’m sure it will be helpful! :)

Cory

I was able to get a 4meg USB drive to work also.

Ripped a DVD using DVD Decrypter.
Converted to MP4 (for my PS3 HDD) using Handbrake.
Then coverted MP4s to mpeg2 using Any Video Converter as suggested by Szalaj.

Had one issue with one rip where the video and audio had unsync'd about 3 seconds. Also might be a way to use Any Video Concerter on the orig ripped files from DVD Decrypter but as I had the MP4s sitting there that's what I converted.

Wow is my comp getting a workout these days with the videos...
Hopefully this will save some wear and tear on the moving parts inside the headrests :biggthump .

-Ian

No luck with WMV or MP4

I just got a 2015 Explorer with Invision RSE in it, so far I haven't been able to get any digital video to play from the USB. Haven't tried the MPEG2 or AVI like some others suggest. Hard to believe a system that costs 2 grand has such poor documentation and isn't connected to the cars audio system, touch screen system. Next time I go to buy a vehicle unless they have improved the RSE's a lot, it won't be a Ford.

BTW I also contacted Invision and they were no help at all, they basically just read what is int he manual and could not give me any more info about the files it can play.

My 2014 Explorer Sport came without the invision headrest system. I bought them brand new on eBay sealed. I did the install myself ( I'm a aircraft avionics systems tech for American airlines 24 years) I did it by the book. Super easy install. Plug and play. I have been using them for over 6 months. Now the passenger side unit jammed with a Dvd inside and will not read the disc or eject it. I called my dealer Derrick at metro ford here in north Miami Florida but they have a problem with the invision ford headrests not being on the explorer in the delivery of the truck new. What now?

Mike, I had an issue with one of mine and I just disconnected it at the connectors under the seat (or where ever you put them) and took the headrest out of the vehicle. I shipped it to Invision. They are close to you in Florida so it shouldn't be an issue.

Make sure you go on their site and register your units with serial numbers before you ship.

This is who I spoke to:

Amy | Customer Service Rep.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
INViSiON Automotive Systems, Inc
2822 Commerce Park Drive, Suite 400
Orlando, FL 32819
P 866.869.7888
F 407.842.7030

USB flash drive

Hey guys! I was wondering why the flash drive wasn't working, so i reformatted it and changed the format from ExFat to Fat. I can perfectly reproduce .AVI and any other filetypes that are mentioned in the manual!

Hello,

I have tried playing video via USB (mpeg-2). It is playing. However, the problem I am facing is that I can only see the root Directory with name of the file being played. I am unable to see the Video. Any suggestions?

Hello,

I have tried playing video via USB (mpeg-2). It is playing. However, the problem I am facing is that I can only see the root Directory with name of the file being played. I am unable to see the Video. Any suggestions?
Your video file isn't formatted correctly. It needs to be in a container like mp4, mkv, or the ancient avi.

So you got 2 options. You can play around with video converters and see what works, or I would recommend getting a fire stick or Roku.

From my understanding, your headrest only plays a handful of outdated formats. A newer streaming device will play those formats and so much more. It'll cost $20-ish but it'll save you a lot of headaches.

Your video file isn't formatted correctly. It needs to be in a container like mp4, mkv, or the ancient avi.

So you got 2 options. You can play around with video converters and see what works, or I would recommend getting a fire stick or Roku.

From my understanding, your headrest only plays a handful of outdated formats. A newer streaming device will play those formats and so much more. It'll cost $20-ish but it'll save you a lot of headaches.
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Could you please elaborate a little more? I searched firestick on Amazon, I can get one pretty quick. But how do I play downloaded videos into the headrest dvd? do I plug in firestick in the usb slot? Need more help to understand. Many thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back